interlude: nezu

“So, Aizawa, has there been any leeway to the new case you’ve been assigned?” Nezu asked from his office desk. His chair creaked as it turned side to side ever so softly, as if in a soothing motion. A glint in the chimera’s eyes was ever so prominent, if not brighter than normal. His mischievous maw was turned into a cruel smile. It was as if he knew something he shouldn’t have. 

“I do not believe that I am allowed to speak of my current heroics case while on the clock of a different job, Nezu. Why did you call me here?” Aizawa said, black eyes staring at the mischievous form of the principle of UA. 

It was no secret that the chimera harbored a deep-rooted hatred for the human species, and yet he continued to look over their young as well as teach them. His tactics were strictly watched over by the Commision and Council of UA Heroes. Such heroes were under both the Commission and Nezu, yet also separated from both. No one could truly control the teachers, their morals outweighing any individual attempting to become tyrannical over them. 

And yet, the Commission and Nezu always seemed to butt heads while simultaneously working together. Aizawa was not about to feed into their fire. 

“Would you like a cup of tea?” The Chimera asked, a grin still ever prominent. 

“No.” 

At that refusal, the animal finally let his facade slip, a blank stare boring into Aizawa’s vision. The underground hero prided himself on not giving a reaction to the principle, and he wouldn’t start now. But the chimera was a deeply angry being, even if he hardly ever showed it. And rightfully so, being forced to live in a discriminatory society that likes to see the strong fall and the weak stay as dirt below the average show--a society that craves advancements to make living easier by any means possible, including through the illegal testing on people and animals. 

Nezu had many reasons to be upset, just as Aizawa had many reasons to become a hero, and the anonymous author had many reasons to write. 

“I have read all of the books your case revolves around.” The chimera states slowly, chair stilling as the air thickens around the room. Aizawa’s eyes get microscopically wider, knowing that only he and Tsukauchi had been put on the case. Nezu, as usual, shouldn’t have known. And yet he does. “The author you are looking for has minimal traces to be found. You are only on the tip of the iceberg.” 

And for the first time, Aizawa blanched. The statement seemed threatening and yet it remained just barely comprehensible in the context of the case. What did Nezu know that they didn’t?

Aizawa looked, really looked, at the chimera. He noticed the barely wrinkled suit, and the slightly matted fur. But most importantly, he noticed the lack of tea in front of Nezu, the lack of real anger that wasn’t exaggerated into mischievousness. Aizawa noticed the droopy lids, attempting to conceal saddened eyes. 

You are only on the tip of the iceberg.