the case: discussion five

Aizawa was called into the station to talk to Tsukauchi that night. At least the surprise meeting got him off of the early patrol list.

He was so close to finishing The Death, and he was in a state of severe inner turmoil about the series. The fact the main character was so far down the rabbit hole of high-functioning depression and yet it felt as if he was sometimes wandering around the world in a lost abyss. 

Aizawa felt insanely close to the teenager, yet also so far away. While Aizawa was ridiculed for his quirk, the main character was ridiculed for not having one. They were both scenarios that remained incomparable, yet also held the fragments of similarity. 

Taking in a deep breath, Aizawa set a cup of coffee down on the desk beside his chair. He still had a few hours until the meeting with the detective, so he sat down and began reading. 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

“It’s definitely an autobiography.” Aizawa stated, bursting through the doors of Tsukauchi’s office, scaring the detective witless. 

Tsukauchi looked sadly at the crumpled papers in his hands, having tightened his grip when jumpscared. Silently, he placed them back on the table, pressing his hands down on it in an attempt to smoothen them out. After failing, he sat back in his seat and turned to Aizawa. “I know we’ve beaten around the bush about the books being a biography, but what makes you so sure about it being an autobiography?” He asked, letting his curiosity sink in. 

Aizawa took the question as a prompt to enter and make himself comfortable. So he closed the door and sat down in his favorite plush chair. “I think this was a case of someone being diagnosed as quirkless, the emotions are too real to be faked or inserted by an outside perspective.” He commented, shifting in his seat. Tsukauchi looked at him intently. “So that leads me to believe that the series is a autobiography. But if that’s so then the end of the Death is also true. Meaning the kid was looking for a job and stumbled upon his own book. But clearly he didn’t understand what was happening, just that his life had been written out nearly word for word. And if there's one thing that is blatantly intrusive, it’s your personal life being brought out into the open for all to see--especially his life where he was battling his mental health and doing everything possible to help his mother.” He trailed off. 

“I imagine that would be incredibly frightening.” Tsuakuchi comments, tapping his pen on the desk. 

Aziawa shot a glance at the detective before continuing. “So we agree that the series was written by him. Yet the ending is also him finding out about the books, meaning that he wasn’t aware of the books being written. I would argue his mind was the one subconsciously writing them, and publishing them. Meaning, there are a few options. One, traumatic quirk experience triggered the manifestation--”

“--Usually causing defensive quirk development--allowing the body to protect itself. Also highly rare, with only eighteen cases in existence.”

“A traumatic event triggering the manifestation--”

“--Like the Utami case, where the child’s murder was projected across all screen platforms. The killer was not using his quirk, but the body subconsciously knew it was dying, so in a last-ditch effort to save herself, she publicized her death by accident.” 

Aizawa nodded at Tsukauchi’s words, agreeing. He got up and began pacing the room, one hand rubbing his jaw and the other behind his back. “Or lastly, someone else's quirk backfired or was used on him.”

Tsukauhci blinks before turning to his computer and searching up details. 

“I’m leaning towards the quirk being long term and not having many details. Since the publishing started approximately nine to ten years ago, search the registry for a newly developed quirk relating to memory and publishing.” Aizawa spoke firmly, feeling a gut emotion edging him towards a conclusion. He could feel the strings slowly pulling together. 

Tsukauchi’s keyboard tapping paused. “You think a child is responsible for this?” He glanced up at the hero, eyes hard. 

“I think the lack of ability to control a quirk is responsible, it just so happens the publishing started fairly early, causing me to believe a younger individual is at hand.” He looked Tsukauchi in the eyes. “It is odd that the effects are still continuing, therefore I doubt the quirk progressed or developed to the point of allowing an ability of quirk pause. I’m sure you’ve read the studies.” He added offhandedly. “Add in a search for quirk suppressants being sent into their address." 

"Why?" Asked a confused Tsuakuchi. 

Aizawa waved off his question and more typing ensued. Moments passed of relative silence before a couple dings sounded from the computer. Tsuakuchi's eyes widened. "One match." He said, looking up at Aizawa incredulously. 

Aizawa, from his spot looking out the window, smirked. Now we're getting somewhere. "Contact them."