12. Fighting Back

CRASH

"You bitch!"

"D-Don't touch me!" Maxi snapped, grabbing another pot and as he approached, she threw it at his face, smashing it against him and cutting his face and hands. He yelled in fury but grabbed her and slammed her down on the bed. Maxi writhed in agony, her chest tightening in terror until he suddenly grabbed a fistful of hair and she shrieked, scratching at his face with her nails and anywhere she could reach.

"You keep moving and I-URK!" Maxi writhing around as he tried to keep her down, she managed to move her knee upwards as hard as she could right between his legs. He dropped with a grunt and Maxi pushed him off her, running to the door and throwing it open-

Only to be yanked back, a knife pointed at her throat.

Maxi tensed, but glared darkly at the man with furious eyes. He glared at her through one narrowed eye and blood trickling down little cuts on his cheek and brow and the tip of his dagger pressed a little tighter against her throat.

"You wanna try that again?" He sneered and Maxi was almost determined but knew better. If she could keep them lingering around longer, Riftan would get here soon or at least be close enough. She knew how fast he could travel so she wouldn't be surprised if he got to this town within a day. Maxi hesitantly shook her head, dropping her gaze nervously but tense and ready in case she needed to fight. "That's what I fucking thought-"

"Boss!"

"What?" A mercenary came in the room, glaring at them both as he snapped nervously.

"Remdragon Knights have been sighted!"

Riftan!

"What?" Rob gaped in horror as his hand shook against Maxi's throat. "How the-"

"We need to go! Now!"

"Fuck!" Maxi was yanked off the wall, her arm pulled behind her and the knife pressed against her side as he stormed them through the halls, hissing in her ear. "If you make a sound, I will kill anyone you so much as look at." Maxi glared at the floor but no one was around for them to notice and Maxi wished the innkeeper at least secretly saw her or hoped the girl unconscious upstairs was okay.

Oh God, Riftan!

Maxi tensed as they came outside, mercenaries on horseback and Maxi was thrown on top with Rob sitting behind her, knife in his reach and Maxi tried to struggle and jump off-

"LET'S GO! HEEYAH!"

Riftan!

---

"Commander!" Hebaron shouted behind Riftan but Riftan didn't slow Talon down, driving him fast through the open roads, the tracks growing stronger. They were close! So close! "COMMANDER! RIFTAN! STOP!"

Riftan tensed, slowing down to throw a ruthless look at the knight who kept his horse close to him as he shouted over the stampeding horse hooves. "Commander, they keep going this way and they'll be going into-"

"I know! That's why we have to catch them before they do!" Riftan snapped, and kicked Talon's side and the horse beat down the roads but Riftan's heart trampled faster as the growing realization of the situation was hitting him. They weren't smart enough to pull this off and obviously didn't account for Maxi slowing them down and now, they're on the run.

They know I'm on their behind.

Riftan snarled, baring his teeth, leaning closer to Talon's back as he huffed powerfully and Riftan felt his heart tremor.

And because of that, they won't let her go...

Or...she'll be of no more use to them.

The final thought made Riftan's world grow dark ever so briefly but he had to shove those thoughts aside. No, Maxi was stronger, braver and smarter. She'll be okay.

I'm coming Maxi!