23. Hazy

"I'm ready to g-go home now." Maxi sighed at no one as she sighed heavily on her bed. She'd been cooped up for three days and feeling had returned to her limbs and body. She honestly felt so much better, just really thirsty so she drank lots of water lately but that was good enough for Ruth who was carefully observing her process and relaying to Riftan who was deeply relieved. Maxi could walk on her own at least without her legs giving away now, as evident by her going down to the stairs to actually interact with others. The Remdragon Knights had been overjoyed to see her and even Yulysion had hugged her like a child before backing away nervously as the Commander saw him. Though to be fair, Riftan looked more stunned at the action from the boy than jealous which Maxi was grateful for. Yulysion was a good friend. Even Hebaron raised a glass in her honour, citing her unbreakable which had her laughing.

She just really wanted to leave Xeno and go home. Home was her home.

She was just so ready to put all this behind her now and find some peace. It was over, Midahas was gone. Riftan would send letter to his father and probably demand compensation again. She had no doubt Riftan would be more than relieved to return home as well. Glancing out the window where the sun had disappeared below the horizon and Maxi sighed slumping back on the bed, staring mindlessly up at the ceiling.

Everything was over.

And yet...

"Maxi, you okay?" Maxi tilted her head back, seeing Riftan open the door and slipping inside and eying her quizzically as his lips twitched in amusement. "You okay there?"

"Yeah," Maxi murmured, turning her eyes back up to the ceiling as she sighed deeply. "I w-wanna go home."

"We're going." Maxi blinked and tilted her head back to Riftan, looking at him almost upside down. "We're leaving tomorrow morning. I just wanted you to recover fully before we journey home. We'll have a carriage ready to go." Maxi groaned, turning back to the ceiling as she muttered sullenly.

"It'll t-take longer with a-a...c-carriage."

"Maybe." She could hear Riftan shifting around the room, the sound if his armour as he moved, standing away from her, almost like he was afraid to touch her, for fear of hurting her. Maxi loved the man with all her being but he knew how to frustrate her. But then again, her mind was in places at times but didn't Riftan understand that it wasn't his fault. She didn't wish to be touched until she felt better, even she could admit that. And Riftan had been adamant about not pushing her, caring over her, bathing her but listening to her request diligently. But it seemed a request like that was making him a worrywart. She just appreciated Riftan for giving her some space on the physical sense but she also believed he needed it as well, busy helping the village and making sure everything was in order before they left.

But right now...she wasn't relying on him or anyone else.

She just wanted her husband.

"Riftan," Maxi sighed, sitting up and turning around so she was kneeling on the bed and eying him curiously. "Are y-you okay?"

"I am now." Riftan blinked softly, his expression faltering before he breathed softly. "I just..." He stopped suddenly and gave her a slight frown, brow raised and they both stared at each other in silence. Some many seconds passed, it was like every breath was hot and extending heat out in the room. Maxi shifted as the heat grew blistering and sweat trickled down her cleavage as she eyed him heavily. "I shouldn't treat you like glass and yet I do that too often." Riftan breathed softly, his voice heavy and Maxi swallowed as he started to loosen the vambraces along his arm and then the chest plate, her eyes following every piece he took off his body.