14. Broken

"Commander!"

"The fuck!?" Hebaron snapped, his eyes wide in shock as the Remdragon's took the path right where the tracks were leading. "Are they suicidal?"

"Possibly!" Gabel muttered darkly. "Because once we catch them, they won't be dealing with Riftan."

"Exactly." Yulysion muttered, his purple eyes glinted with a heavy fire. "They'll be dealing with all of us!"

"Let's go!" Uslin snapped as they rode through the roads.

Riftan stared darkly at the dimly lit roads as very little light peeked through the canopies and knowing they were venturing into werewolf territory now. Going through here, even he wouldn't do that without reason. And the thought of Maxi left with those bumbling bastards as werewolves-

His stomach lurched and his heart shook violently as he shook off the thought. NO! She's okay! She's powerful, she has her magic! Dammit, I'm so fucking close! Let me reach her dammit!

"ABOVE!" Riftan didn't hesitate. His sword was already cutting across from above before the word faded in the air, the werewolf landing with a yelp and silence. More snarls distantly and Riftan cut across as a creature lunged from the brushes. The werewolf's head landed with a solid thump as he continued on.

"MOVE AHEAD!" Riftan snapped and ten of his men, quickly stampeded past, leaving the other twenty behind to deal with the beasts. The last thing Riftan wanted was anything to slow them down. Not now! Not here! It was far too dangerous and Maxi was so close.

Hebaron shoved his sword down the werewolf's parted jaw, hearing it gargle. Yulysion drew a bow and arrow, stopping a creature mid air as it leapt at them. The creatures moved in a swift flow but they dwindled down. Talon snarled, crushing one werewolf beneath it's hooves when finally no more appeared. Riftan patted Talon's side.

"Good boy. We're going to go home soon. Let's go find Maxi." He whispered softly and pushed Talon into a run with the knights trailing behind, cutting down monsters as they approached or leapt from the canopy.

So close! I'll find that bastard. And I'm coming Maxi!

---

Uslin pulled to a slow halt, his eyes staring at the carnage before him. About ten men and some horses and werewolves laid torn and shredded to pieces of the ground. Stains of dark red all over the place. About fifteen minutes fresh at least. They must've left. Uslin gritted his teeth as he eyed the figures, their ratty clothes and some looked vaguely familiar. But none were Rob Midahas.

Shame.

Uslin grumbled darkly as he tipped a man over onto his back, grimacing at the brutal sight and shaking his head as he looked ahead-

And froze.

"Rikaido," Elliot climbed off his horse and his eyes fell on the body Uslin saw and he tensed, glancing back as the sound of horse beats could be heard in the distance coming to them. Shit! Uslin swallowed, stepping past the dead bodies around, as he hesitantly approached the figure on the ground, his stomach felt sick. The figure was small and slight, and as he grew closer he realized it was definitely a person. The shadows hid the body mostly but there was a dark splay around them that was red.

Or it was red hair.

Uslin hated that sinking feeling, sadness creeping up but his nerves grew shot as the sound of horses turned the bend, reaching their group and he knew he had to be strong for the Commander.

Riftan took only a second to take in the sight before. The dead bodies of men, mercenaries, some horses and werewolves. Some patches of red led off into the brush which meant there could be more bodies dead but none were familiar to him. Not the man he was hunting for but-

"What is it?" He briefly dismissed the look of Elliot and the men who had already arrived and his eyes swept up further ahead where the canopies had closed in much more, bathing the road in complete shadow and Uslin standing stiff and tense and-

Another body.

"What is that-" Riftan started, trying to keep his voice and body calm as he climbed off Talon-

"Don't!" Uslin shouted, making Riftan tense, his stomach growing sick and heart lurching horribly in his chest. Uslin turned around sharply, hand raised as he shook his head. "Commander don't-"

"No, that's not-" Hebaron bolted off his horse, his face darkening at the realization as he grabbed Riftan and others reaching out to stop him from getting any closer.

"Commander!"

"Don't do it!"

"Stay back!" Riftan was suddenly grabbed from all sides as Hebaron and Garrow and Gabel grasped his arms, keeping him back as Riftan shook violently, his eyes wide and frantic as he shook his head, trying to pull away.

"NO! That's not-LET GO!" He watched with begging eyes as Uslin hesitantly approached the form crumbled in shadows and already Riftan felt he wanted to be sick.

He could see red...Red hair.

No! No, no, no! Maxi, it's not-

"Please, no-It's not!" Uslin kneeled beside the figure as Elliot drew closer and Riftan his heart drop as other murmured around, their voices drowned out as his heart thundered erratically in his chest. "It's not, it's not-It can't..." He said over and over again, feeling his body grow heavier with every second, but his men didn't relent, keeping a hold on him as he stared at Uslin and Elliot and their expressions.

No! NO! Please Maxi! You have to be okay!

Uslin bent closer, reaching a hand out and remained still for at least thirty seconds that felt like an eternity as Riftan held his breath despite his heart growing louder and louder, his stomach churning painfully.

I promised I'd be home quicker this time Maxi. You asked me to come home quicker and I promised I would and I was going to be. I'd do anything for you, Maxi.

Uslin pulled his hand, his head bowing and Riftan's jaw cracked as he tried not to scream and he could voices shouting and Uslin looked back at them.

His expression said everything.

....Do you want me to bring you anything, Maxi?

Riftan, y-you never need t-to bring me anything. You coming back is t-the...b-best gift you always g-give me.

Something broke in his chest.

I-I always m-miss you when you're gone, Riftan.

The ground hit his knees but it echoed through him like nothing as though everything became dead and turned to stone. A sound rolled around him, dimly unaware that he was screaming in agony as the world turned to nothing.

...I was so close Maxi.