15. What Are Friends For?

Complicated

Chapter 15: What Are Friends For?

"Ladies, I have a few announcements before we get started" Coach Kap began as we sat in a circle on the grassy field. "Because of the school trips taking place this weekend, the game against the Eagles has been moved to Monday. Due to that, there will be a practice game tomorrow. You will be split into two groups. The red team and the blue team. The winning team gets to skip practice on Thursday while the losing team comes. And trust me... I will be working you harder".

There were some moans and groans as this sunk into everyone's head. I hope I wasn't on the losing team.

"With that being said, give me five laps around the field then partner up and practice pitch" Coach Kap instructed before blowing her whistle.

Of course.

The day I'm not speaking to Brianna is the day coach wants us to partner up.

Great.

Now I had to get a new partner.

After laps, I went up to my teammate, Jasmine.

"Want to be partners?"

She seems slightly taken back as she looked around to make sure I was talking to her. "Sure".

Everyone knew that Brianna was my partner for these exercises but come on, we weren’t always around each other.

As we began our pitching exercises, I saw that Brianna partnered up with Tina.

I could have sworn she hated Tina.

Me and Jasmine found a spot in the field and began our pitching exercises. She was pretty good so all of our catches and throws were smooth.

As we were throwing, I thought I caught a glimpse of Calvin... But I had to be seeing things.

"Come on ladies! Throw the ball with the wrist technique we practiced. It will make the game easier for you" Coach Kap was yelling. "Hill? Wilson? Not partners huh. I didn't think I'd ever see this day" she joked.

Ha. Ha. How funny.

I snuck a look at Brianna whose eyes were already boring into me.

*****

Once practice was over, I bolted to the locker room, grabbed my things and headed to the parking lot.

Brianna was sitting on the trunk of my car, waiting for me.

"Hey" she said as I stood in front of her.

"Hi".

"Where were you in class today?"

"I wasn't feeling good".

She nodded her head. "Well I have all of the homework from physics if you need it" she said.

"Awesome" I responded sarcastically.

"So, um. I just wanted to say sorry for all that stuff that I said yesterday. I shouldn't have said any of it and I am an ass of a best friend. I'm really sorry Dana".

Looking into Brianna's eyes, I knew that she truly meant it.

That girl rarely ever apologized so I knew it came from the heart.