MSMC Bk 1-Chapter 13

Chapter 13-House Hunting

"Is there anywhere you want to go before we go to the compound?" Hunter asked as he helped me put the helmet on and get it strapped up.

"No. I'm anxious to go look at land and maybe spend some time house hunting?" I smiled at him.

Hunter smiled back at me. "I like the way you think! Let's see what kind of homes we can find on the way to the compound and if we don't see anything we like, then we'll walk the land. How's that?" He said and when I nodded, he kissed me before he helped me onto the back of his bike. As soon as he was on, I wrapped my arms around him, scooted as close as I could get and he started his bike.

As soon as we left the city limits where the speed limits were much lower, Hunter sped up a little bit and I was loving it! The feeling of freedom was amazing. It was hard to believe that just last week and for the past 10 years, I had been so terrified of men in general and would jump in fear of my own shadow but I felt so safe with Hunter that I had no fear at all.

When we got to within a couple of miles of the compound, Hunter turned off on a road we drove by several places with for sale signs in the yard but both agreed that it was not something either of us were interested in so we drove on. I was just enjoying having my arms around him and riding his bike. He turned down another road and about a mile down, found a house that had a for sale by owner sign in the front yard.

Hunter pulled over on the shoulder and walked over to where there was a plastic box on a pole with details about the house, including a few pictures of the inside of the house. I sat on the bike and looked around the property.

Hunter walked back over and said "This guy has to be nuts! There is no way they are going to get this kind of money for this place. Come on, let's go somewhere else." He got back on and we drove further down the road.

We drove by several places but none of them looked like anything we were even remotely interested in. One looked kind of promising from the outside but it was so far away from the compound that Hunter said he didn't feel comfortable with having me out there alone while he was at work. We turned around and headed in a different direction but after another couple of hours of riding around we were both getting frustrated and I for one was getting hungry.

"Hey, it's past lunchtime. Can we get something to eat soon?" I yelled over the sound of the bike when he stopped at a stop sign. Hunter nodded and we headed back towards the clubhouse. On the way back down a road that Hunter eventually told me he had never driven down before, we spotted a house that nearly had me jumping off the bike while it was still moving. I nearly punched Hunter in the stomach to signal him to stop. He pulled over and turned to look at me when he spotted the house and stopped to look at it.

It was perfect, at least on the outside. It had a wide wrap around porch and was single story, which is something I really wanted since I'm such a clutz. I couldn't tell from the road which room it was but it had a "bump out" window that looked like it had a window seat inside. The sign out front said it was for sale but there was no contact phone number or little plastic box out front.

"Is this the place? Hunter asked.

"Oh Hunter, from the outside, it's perfect but I would have to see what the inside looks like before I could make that call." I said without taking my eyes off of it.

"Well, let's take a chance and go ask?" Hunter asked. There was a car outside of the house but it didn't look like the place where owners would park their car.

"Maybe they have company? I hate to intrude but I don't see any other way to find out if it's still on the market or how much they are asking. Maybe we can just get an appointment for another day, if not today?" I suggested.