Chapter 8: The truth

When I came back from talking to Muzan, Tanjiro and Urokodaki waited for me.

"Let's go." Urokodaki said. I was confused but I nodded. Tanjiro did too. But I could tell he wasn't as confused as I was. Tanjiro picked up his box and placed it on his back, Nezuko inside.

We walked down a dirt pass. Tanjiro and I were both jogging as Urokodaki ran. We couldn't hear his footsteps. Although Tanjiro and I didn't speak, we both had the same question:
How come we can't hear his footsteps?
Tanjiro soon broke the silence.

"You never told me where you are from," he said, turning to me. "Would you mind telling me?"

I stayed silent. Could I really tell him that I was living with Muzan Kibstuji and I was abused almost my whole life? I nervously laughed.

"I..I was living with my parents until I got taken away by them." I said, trying to keep it simple. "I began living with Muzan Kibstuji and his two demons, Doma and Akaza. They abused me almost every day." I was surprised I still remembered everything. I shook my head and let out another nervous laugh.

Tanjiro stayed silent. "I..I'm so sorry." He finally said. "Is that why you have those scars and bruises?"

"Yeah, but I'm doing alright now."
I smiled at him. He smiled back.

We soon caught up with Urokodaki, panting. We arrived at his house and he saw our tired expressions.

"We are going to be training up the mountain." He said. "You two have to get strong somehow. But first, inside." He then opened the door to his house and Tanjiro and I both followed in.

His house was small but he had a shelf with items, like masks. I look over and there was another room. I walked in and found two beds and a drawer. There was also a chair with a table. I set down my stuff and Tanjiro did, too, placing his box that held Nezuko next to his bed. I walked back and noticed that in the middle of the house, there was a kettle with fire on. Urokodaki stirred something inside of it.

"We'll eat first, then train." He said. I couldn't help but smile. I sat down on the ground, my hands on my lap, and Tanjiro did as well. Urokodaki gave us a bowl and I looked in it. Inside it, there was soup and a couple t. It didn't look good but I liked the smell. I blew on the soup before taking a sip. Tanjiro placed his bowl on the ground and looked at Urokodaki who was staring at us.

"So.. mind telling me where you two came from?" Urokodaki asks. Tanjiro and I both shared a look. Tanjiro looked more worried that I was. Something was up. I took a sip from my bowl as Tanjiro spoke.

"My family died from a demon." He said. "I came home one day after selling charcoal and I found my whole family dead." I nearly choked. I coughed and cleared my throat.

"What?" I asked. A demon? Could it be..?

"Yeah." Tanjiro sighed. "I..I don't know what the demon's name was, though. I never met him, or her."

Urokodaki, silently listening, suddenly spoke up.

"Have you two heard of Muzan Kibstuji?" He asks. We both shake our heads. I knew who he was but I didn't want Urokodaki to think I'm working for him.

"Muzan Kibstuji was the first demon to exist, he's pretty powerful." He says. "If any demon says his name, they will die. It's a cruse he puts on his demons." He made eye contact with Tanjiro. "He's probably the demon that killed your family, Tanjiro."

Tanjiro's eyes widened. I could tell he was shocked. I didn't say anything.

"How can I kill him?" Tanjiro asks. Urokodaki looks outside. The sun was setting.

"It's getting late, get some rest. You both have a long day of training tomorrow." Urokodaki stood up, ignoring Tanjiro's question.

Urokodaki took our bowls and placed them somewhere for later. I watched as Tanjiro left, heading for his bed, and shutting the door behind him. Urokodaki looked at me, I could tell he was confused.

"You aren't going to sleep, Yuki?" He asks, sitting back down in front of me.

"I will, it's just.." I could barely finish my sentence. I suddenly remembered how Muzan would get Akaza or Doma to hurt me if I didn't go to bed. But he wasn't here right now. It was just me and Urokodaki and Tanjiro. I was safe. For now.

"There's something I haven't told you." I said, staring outside then back to Urokodaki.

. . .

After I told him that I had been abused by Muzan and how he took me away from my family and how Muzan could read my mind and track me, it was clear he was shocked. He didn't respond, not after a minute or two.

"But.. you aren't evil, right?" He asks.

I shake my head. "No, I'm surprised it isn't like that." I let out a laugh. "I'm sort of.. glad he didn't feed me human flesh. I would attempted to kill you both."

Urokodaki nods. "There is a way you can get turned back into a human." He says.

"There is?" I ask, hope in my chest. He nods.

"Yes, there is." He responds. "Tamayo, is her name, she's a demon but she helps demons turn into humans."

"You know her?" I ask.

"Sort of. I've heard about her, but I'm sure you and Tanjiro can find her on your own." He grins at me.
I smiled back.

"So, you said Muzan put a tracking device on you and he can read your mind, does that put us in any danger?" He asks.

"I..I don't know." I admit. Truth was, I wasn't sure if he was gonna hurt them. But if he was planning something, I'll be sure to stop him.

Urokodaki made a hmm noise.

"Go get some rest," He said as he stood up. "You need some for tomorrow."

"Okay." I replied. I headed for the room but turned around. "Thank you and goodnight."

He waves at me before I enter the room and shut the door.

. . .
Words: 1049 (😨.)

Edit: I just realized I mispelled "charcoal"... yeah we dont talk about that 😜