Chapter 11: Sword training

A couple days later, Urokodaki said we'd be doing "sword training." Apparently, when we are a demon slayer, we get nichirin swords. Tanjiro and I both stood in front of Urokodaki.
He holds two swords and hands them to us. I grab mine and Tanjiro does too. I squint my eyes in confusion. The sun was out but it barley affected me. Sure, I could only be out in the sun until I start to burn up but I could cover myself.

"Today, we are going to learn how to use swords." Urokodaki says. "Once you get your own nichirin sword, you'll be able to kill demons with this."

We trained with the swords for what felt like hours. We placed a bamboo on top of a cut off tree trunk. I sliced it in half and Tanjiro did as well. Urokodaki was pleased. We went on with forms and positions, if we didn't do something right, he'll hit us in the stomach. Of course, I wasn't afraid like I was with Muzan. It was obvious that this was only for training and if we didn't do something right, we got punched in the stomach.

After three hours, we went inside. The sun didn't affect me too much, but it still burned. I sat down with Urokodaki like the other nights. Tanjiro was asleep and so was Nezuko. The fire crackled and all felt like everything was going well.

"So, how are you holding up?" Urokodaki asks, handing me the bowl.

I took a sip and looked up at him. "I'm doing okay. But.. what comes after this? After all this training, what do we do?"

"Final Selection." He replied. "In Final Selection, you have to take an exam. This exam requires you to survive seven nights at Mount Fujikasane."

I nod. He paused for a while until I gestured for him to continue.

"If you survive, you'll get to pick your ore for your nichirin sword."

"That's it?" I ask. He laughs.

"Oh, no. But I want you to experience it just as the others did." He looked over at his shelf with his masks.

"Hmm.." I said. I then stood up and placed my bowl down. "Thank you for the information, again. I'm sorry for bothering you so much," I lower my gaze to the ground. "..and asking so many questions—"

"It's fine, Yuki." He replies softly. "It's understandable to have questions, even when your scared."

"Again, thank you." I give him a warm smile before I head to my room and close the door.

I walked into the room and sighed heavily. I changed into my pj's and sat down at the edge of my bed. Nezuko's head popped from out of her box. She tilted her head to me and I gave her a smile.

"I'm okay, Nezuko." I said. "Your brother is alright, as well."

She doesn't respond. She just looks at me then goes back into her box. I then lay down in my bed and let out another sigh. I soon fell asleep and went back into the dark void.

. . .
Words: 519