Chapter 10: Training

Tanjiro and I both stood in the middle of the woods as Urokodaki stood in front of us. Fog surrounded us and I could tell it was already getting nighttime. How is that even possible? I thought.

"Climb down this mountain and come back home." He said.

Tanjiro and I both looked at each other shared a grin. This should be easy. I thought. Tanjiro was probably thinking the same thing too. Urokodaki then left as the fog made him disappear, making me gasp.

Tanjiro began to run down the mountain and I followed. He all of a sudden stopped and a log, tied to a tree, came at us, hitting us in the face. I groaned in pain.

Tanjiro sniffs the air. "These traps were made by humans. I can scent every direction they are coming from." He says.

I raise an eyebrow.

"How?" I ask. He shoots me a grin.

"I have a good sense of smell." He says proudly. I smile.

We both then run down the mountain, panting and dodging all the traps. We soon reached the bottom and I almost stumbled down to the ground. We both head over to the house and open the door.

"We.. made it." Tanjiro said, holding onto the door for support. I give Urokodaki a weak smile before we both head inside. Urokodaki gives Tanjiro the soup we had the other night and gives me a bowl too. After Tanjiro finishes, he heads to his room and sleeps. I don't though. Sleep is the last thing on my mind. I stay with Urokodaki, sitting down exactly like the day before.

"How is this going to help us?" I ask, taking a sip from my bowl. Urokodaki looks over at me and sighs.

"You two will become good demon slayers, if that's what you want to become, Yuki." He says.

"If I'm being completely honest," i paused for a second. "I..I I don't know what I want to become. But if being a demon slayer means I get to kill people like Muzan, I'd become one."

Urokodaki nods. "That's understandable. But I would like it if you became one."

"Yeah, maybe." I said. This training isn't going to waste. I told myself. I'll be strong and do my best.

"Now, get some sleep. It's already dark out—" Urokodaki said.

"No." I replied. "I-I mean, can I go out in the mountain and keep training? I'll be okay on my own."

Urokodaki looked over at me but didn't say a word. He walked over and placed a hand on my shoulder. "If that's what you want, Yuki."

I nod and he let me go. I opened the front door and ran towards the mountain.

. . .

After I finished going down the mountain once more, I panted and almost fell to my knees. I ran down the mountain and I was going too fast, I didn't even have time to stop and take a breather. The traps got harder and more intense. I assumed Urokodaki made the traps more difficult so I could get a slight bit stronger. But it only made me feel weak.

I walked back into the house, bruises and dirt all over me. I almost stumbled inside but I caught myself. Since we didn't have a shower in the house, I went over and grabbed my own water and poured some on myself. Urokodaki was asleep on the ground. I assumed Tanjiro was asleep, too. I went inside the room and got changed. I flopped onto my pillow and stared at the celling. My eyelids soon got heavy and I fell asleep.

. . .
Words: 607