Week 14: Tomorrow is a Snow Day

I pack my gym socks in my bag and glance out my window to see the sunshine quickly vanish as heavy, dark gray, clouds block it out. I can already picture the plow struggling to push through it.

"Come on downstairs honey, dinner's ready!" I swiftly stand, catching a glance of the thick flurries swirling outside, before abiding to my mother's request.

"Are you excited?" She asks.

"For what?" I question, wondering if I forgot something again.

"You might have a snow day tomorrow," she smiles softly.

"Key word, 'might'," I retort, letting out a chuckle. "It was snowing pretty heavily, but if it calms down, it probably won't be enough." The living room is suddenly lit up with a flash, followed by a loud crack of thunder.

My mom laughs, " I doubt they won't call a snow day now." Her phone goes off, interrupting her train of thought. I sit in impatient silence as she listens to the caller.

"What's up?" I urge.

"You've got a snow day tomorrow" she says. I smile contentedly and reach for the tray of biscuits, still warm from the oven. After I turned off my alarm clock, my mom told me I could stay up a little later than usual, so I pop a DVD in the blu-ray player and settle into the couch.