Week 30 - April Showers

I stood at the counter making waffles as the hail drummed against the windows.  The snowstorm showed no signs of stopping, the overcast sky refusing to make room for even a slight sliver of sunshine.  I took the three plates of waffles into my arms and stepped into the living room.  The clinking of the plates pulled my dad’s focus from the baseball game on the TV.  “I come bearing gifts,” I smiled, setting the plates on the coffee table and sitting next to my dad on the couch.

My dad’s face lit up, “So you do.”  My sister quickly joined us on the couch, remote controlled car long forgotten.  We each took a plate.  My dad turned and pointed at me with his fork, “This is why you’re my favorite son.”

I chuckled, “I’m your only son.”

“Doesn’t mean you can’t be my favorite,” he replied.

My sister spoke from his other side, “What about me?”

“You’re my favorite daughter,” he patted her head and she grinned.

I collected our plates.  “I’m going to make some popcorn, why don’t you guys pick out a movie?”  I didn’t bother telling them not to start because I know they’ll just argue the whole time I’m gone and I’ll have to play mediator.  I love spending time with my family.  Even if it’s hail showers in April, we’ll get through it together.