Chapter 9

Tyler's POV

"For I Know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for peace and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."__ Jeremiah 29:11

God's plan for us is that of peace, hope, and a bright future. He never wishes evil for anyone and He doesn't want to see his children unhappy.

Remember God will make your future bright and peaceful if only you allow him in your life.

Your Friend.

_________________

I folded up the note and dropped it in my bag next to the other notes. They were forming a small pile. Why do I even keep these?

I looked up to see Mira already staring at me, I gave her the most vicious glare I could muster which she dismissed with a sweet smile. I rolled my eyes.

I tilted my head to stare at the ceiling as my mind drifted away. My dad indeed kept his word and sent the money which surprised me since he normally breaks his promises. This time he promised to send more money but we all knew he was lying. The only reason we contacted him in the first place was because Mom was having trouble with her business after her second husband left. She invested nearly everything she had in that failed marriage. A marriage that shouldn't have happened in the first place. So, she was on the verge of bankruptcy.

If my mom indeed goes bankrupt, It would destroy everything including the semi-peaceful life we had managed to build.

A future and a hope…

Mira's note flashed in my head. To give me a future and hope. I had no hope for my future. I wasn't even sure what I would do after high school and also my grades have dropped a lot. My future was bleak. Very bleak.

*****

Mira's POV

I watched Tyler as he folded up my note and placed it in his bag. He looked up and glared at me but that didn't disturb me, I responded with a smile to which he rolled his eyes at. He behaved like a child.

He stared at the ceiling lost in thought, I hope he was thinking about the note I sent him. I wanted him to meditate on it.

"How are my favorite ladies doing?" Tobi announced as he strutted towards us. He swung his hands around Azalea's shoulders.

"Where have you been?" I asked as I have not seen him for some time now.

"I should be asking you that." He retorted. "Very soon I will need to book an appointment just to talk to you." He said, taking an empty seat to sit on.

I rolled my eyes, "Don't be ridiculous."

"It's true though. You've been so scarce nowadays. You don't text or call and you even arrive late to Bible study which is so unlike you." Selena ranted out.

"I think Tyler is rubbing off on her wrongly," Azalea murmured.

I was about to retort when Tobi responded, "Tyler isn't a bad guy so don't say things like that. He just has some issues." I nodded affirmatively.

"I'm sorry that I haven't been around much. I promise to make time for you guys." I apologized.

"It's fine," Selena said.

"We still love you." Azalea completed.

Tobi's eyes darted to my legs, "How is your ankle by the way?" He asked.

"It's fine now. Almost completely healed." I replied smiling. It was nice to know that they still cared for me.

He nodded, "Just be careful next time, okay?" I hummed in reply.

As we were conversing,  I sighted Amanda walk in jovially. She visibly stiffened when she saw Tobi who was listening attentively to whatever Azalea was saying but she covered up quickly and took her seat.

Folks. This is the reason you shouldn't fall in love with high school boys. Most of them will just end up breaking your beautiful heart.

The sound of a chair scratching the hard floor caught everybody's attention. I saw Tyler suddenly jolt from his seat and zoomed out of the class, almost knocking down Shawn who was about to come in. Everyone was startled at his behavior and some people began whispering. I suddenly had a bad feeling.

Shawn glanced at us before chasing after Tyler. The bell rang and everyone started filing out of the class to the assembly. I wasted no time and rushed after Shawn. I didn't know if the others followed.

After running through some hallways I finally saw Shawn standing a few feet away from me. Guys do run fast, I thought heaving for breath.

Shawn looked visibly upset which was rare. As I crept closer to find out what was going on, I saw Jeremy and Tyler locked in a staring contest. Tyler was sweaty and he looked agitated while Shawn was tense. It's obvious Jeremy had said something offensive.

"Back off." Shawn practically growled.

Jeremy scoffed, "Stay out of this Shawn, it has nothing to do with you." He said.

"I can't just stay still and watch as you insult a friend of mine. No one deserves to be told those words you just uttered to him." Shawn retorted.

What words are they talking about?

Jeremy let out a laugh, "Your friend?" He asked, "I bet he doesn't even consider you as one. He only knows how to push people away. He doesn't know how to keep friends."

"That's none of your business." Shawn countered.

This was so unlike Shawn. He wasn't the type that exchanged words with people. He preferred to walk out from an argument which he hardly got into anyway. But right now, he seemed ready to fight which was unusual. I wonder if he knows about the medications Tyler is on too.

"It's wrong to eavesdrop."