Chapter 5

Mira's POV

"A bet?" I asked surprised.

Selena nodded, "Yes. Shawn told me about their conversation." She answered.

It was Monday, the second week of school. Selena is currently telling us what her brother told her during the weekend. Shawn was also one of my closest friends. Although they are twins, he and Selena looked nothing alike.

"Why would a new student that I've never interacted with, try to place a bet on me?" I asked exasperated. "How did I even become the topic of discussion?"

I tried not to tell, I did not want to draw attention to myself, but I was starting to get upset.

"Well, It all started when Tyler mentioned that he was thinking about you. One thing led to another and Aiden called you a snub and then–"

"He called me what?!" I cut in, jaw dropped. "How dare he judge me when he doesn't even know me yet."

Selena looked at me annoyed, "Let me finish." She sounded. Then continued narrating,  "And then Aiden suggested a bet, which Tyler rejected when Shawn went to fetch their ice creams."

"How did Shawn know he rejected the bet when he wasn't there?" Azalea asked.

"He said Tyler wouldn't do such a thing. He also asked Tyler about it after dropping Aiden off." Selena responded. "He also found out that Aiden wanted to bet only 50 bucks on you and–"

"50 bucks? Okay, now I'm really offended." I said cutting in again. "Am I worth that little?"

Selena gave me a vicious glare for cutting her off again but I didn't care right now.

"Well look at the bright side," Azalea commented. "Now you know that he is a jerk and you should stay away from him." She stated.

I nodded in agreement.

My eyes darted to the clock briefly, we still had a few minutes to spare before the first period started. The class was getting more rowdy as different people walked in and out.

I sighted Tyler coming in. He glanced around searching for someone until his eyes landed on me. He glared at me when he caught my gaze which creeped me out. He looked sleep deprived.

Selena snickered when she caught our exchange. "This is going to be an interesting year." She said while staring at me with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

*****
It was third-period Economics and the class was quite noisy. Our Teacher, Mrs Summer was about to assign us our projects for the semester.

"Settle down!" She yelled and immediately everyone shut up. Yes, that's how scary she is.

"This semester, you guys are going to do your projects in pairs." Some people yelled in excitement but their happiness was short-lived.

"Don't get too excited." She said with a wicked glint in her eyes. "There is a twist. Everyone will be paired up with someone they are not familiar with. I don't want you slacking off because of your friend." She said and many smiles dropped.

Nobody moved for a few minutes, "You either find a partner or I will pair you up myself." People immediately started searching for their partners.

I looked around to see if someone would approach me but there was none. They just walked right past me.

"Okay. Are you guys done?" Mrs. Summer asked, looking at our faces.

"If you haven't paired up yet, I want you to stand up." A few students, including me, slowly stood up. "Okay, I'll pair you myself." She said.

"Ana and Damina you guys are partners, Christian and Riana, Jeielle and Tobi, Miracle and... Oh, Tyler." I turned around to see Tyler already staring at me.

'Oh isn't this splendid?' I thought with a smile.

*****

Lunch came quickly. I still couldn't walk properly so I was eating my packed lunch alone in the classroom while Selena and Azalea went to buy theirs. Tobi was hanging out with Shawn and the rest of the guys.

"Hi." Someone said above me. I looked up and saw Tyler.

"Hello," I replied.

He took the seat in front of me. The dark circles underneath his eyes were evident, "I want to take you somewhere after school to discuss the project." He said.

"Really? Where?" I asked with a blank stare.

"Just a restaurant around."

I stared at him in silence trying to gauge his expression but he looked calm.

"Sure," I replied. He nodded and left.

I stared at him as he walked away. Why is he so strange? You wouldn't believe he was the same person that threatened me last week. He was acting like nothing happened.

After a few minutes, Azalea and Selena came back with their lunch and I kept that matter at the back of my mind.