Chapter 8

Mira's POV

"I would appreciate it if you don't send me such notes again." He said with a dark expression.

I stared at him, startled at his reaction. "Why?" I asked. "You don't like the fact that I told you that there is someone who cares for you?"

He brushed his hair back, agitated. "I don't need anyone's help. I don't need yours nor do I need God's help. I'm fine."

I was not going to take that answer from him, "If you were really fine," I started, "You wouldn't be secretly taking medications in empty hallways." I said, flatly.

Tyler looked angry now. He clenched and unclenched his fist, gritting his teeth but that didn't faze me.

I continued. "If you were alright, your hands wouldn't start trembling randomly. You wouldn't suddenly start sweating profusely as if you ran a marathon. You wouldn't be in the hallway fighting with someone who is supposed to be your best friend. And most importantly, you wouldn't have that lonely look in your eyes when you think no one is looking." I rambled.

"Come to think of it, those are signs of depression," I murmured, thoughtfully in realization.

He looked taken aback. "You noticed all that?" He asked, surprisingly calm. I slowly nodded in reply.

He snickered. "I guess I'm not that good at hiding things after all." He said, rising from his seat. "It's 4:30 pm already. I need to go home."

I stared at him incredulously, "Is that all you have to say?" I asked.

"What do you want me to say?" He voiced out without turning to face me, walking towards the exit. He was simply unbelievable.

I wanted to retaliate and stop him from leaving but I remembered something. I quickly packed my things and ran after him. "Can you please drop me off at church? I have Bible study." I asked.

"Sure." He replied. I gave him the address and he drove me there.

As I got down from the car, I asked, "Aren't you going to come in even if it's for a minute?"

"I go to church every Sunday. That's enough for me." He said and zoomed off.

I wasted no time and ran into the church. I was already late. I got to the door and saw Precious, another youth member peeking inside. I guess I wasn't the only one who was late.

She looked relieved when she saw me. I smiled in understanding and we walked in together. I rushed and sat down on the empty seat next to Azalea.

"You're late." She whispered.

"Sorry, we lost track of time. The project took longer than I expected." I apologized. She glared at me before turning to concentrate on what the youth president was saying and I did the same.

*****

Tyler's POV

As I got down from my car, I stared at the beautiful house before me.

My home.

It was quite big and beautiful for a family of three. It made people envy me. Tyler, the kid who lives in a big house and owns a Mercedes with his gorgeous sister and beautiful mother. Yeah, people say that last part too. I scoffed. If only they knew.

I stepped into the house, closing the door behind me. The sitting room was neat and bright as always. My mom was obsessed with bright colours so everything was either white or any other bright color. A total opposite of our lives.

I averted my gaze from the blinding colors and was about to go upstairs to my room when I caught  Sophia, my little sister, sitting on the stairs. She only does that when she was troubled so I knew something was wrong.

I squatted in front of her, meeting her eyes, "What's wrong?" Her eyes were weary and puffy. She had cried.

"Mom and Dad are quarreling over the phone again." She spoke out.

Again.

We have gotten so used to them fighting that it doesn't affect us anymore, or rather it did not affect me anymore. I got used to it but it seems Sophia was still suffering.

I gave her a pat on her head. "Go to your room and rest," I told her. She nodded before standing up. I followed behind her as we climbed up the stairs.

The door to Mom's room was slightly ajar so we could hear bits of her conversation on the phone as we walked past.

"It's been 5 months Derek... I can't do this alone... I have bills to pay... Why can't you be responsible... Behave like a father to your kids!"

I quickly walked Sophia to her room. She shouldn't be hearing this. She's only 15. I walked to my room and shut the door behind me before laying on my bed.

This was the second time this week they hard fought and the week just started. I let out a breath of annoyance as I started at the ceiling. My mother has cried countless times because of that man. At this point, I don't even blame her for fighting with him. I would too if I had the chance. She has been through a lot to get to this point in her life. She has been our mother and father ever since my dad left to get a better life 14 years ago.

'Brinnnnnn! Brinnnn!'

I picked up my phone and let out a dry laugh when I saw who the caller was.

I answered the phone, "Good evening Dad."

"Tyler." He exclaimed, "How are you doing?" He asked. His voice was hoarse probably from yelling at Mom on the phone. His voice was familiar yet unfamiliar to me.

"I'm fine," I replied. "What about you?"

"By God's grace, I'm doing fine." He responded. "I just spoke with your mom and I told her I would send some money for you guys."

"Thank you."

"Don't worry about anything okay? I will take care of everything. You just focus on your studies and make your mother and me proud."

"I will."

"I will talk to you later." He said and hung up.

I dropped my phone back on my bed. I knew I wouldn't be hearing from him for another 5 months.

My dad was not a bad person but he was a terrible parent who did not know to set his priorities right. He and my mom made some really bad decisions in their youth. Decisions that I don't plan to repeat in my lifetime.

I do not hate him though even though he is part of the reasons why my life is hell. I do not love him either. I mostly just find him pitiful.