[20] Legacy

"Unlike Romeo and Juliet,
Make your own destiny.
Instead of following by the book,
Create your own legacy."

What if you realized you're living without a purpose? What if you want to fight for what's right? Would you change your mind and follow what's written, or would you suck it up and cross the line?

~Winter~

"I'm joining the war."

That's something I never thought I'd say. I always thought people who joined the war had nothing to live for and nothing to lose. I thought they were fools for putting their lives out on the line.

I was the fool for thinking that.

These past couple of weeks - Qbli's mental problems, Konkajou being absent, and Glory having her pregnancy problems - have taught me something important. All these people had their fate written out for them.

I wanted to make my own fate.

Have my own legacy.

Like how Moon ran away to prove all of us wrong or how Deathbringer confessed his love for Glory in front of at least a hundred people, despite the odds. They took control instead of driving autopilot. They took matters into their own hands.

I wanted to do that, too.

But for my home.

All my life I've had my future arranged by my strict parents with nothing up to me. It only mattered if my parents approved and did not if I didn't.

I was not too fond of it but didn't say anything.

But now, since my parents no longer have custody over everything I do, it only matters if I say it does. So, hah on you, Glacier.

I've had military training for almost five years now, so I think I'm ready.

"What?" Qibli blurted, staring at me with wide eyes. "You're doing what?"

"I'm joining the war," I repeated, more casually this time.

"No!" Kinkajou cried. "The fam just got back together! Why would you want to do that?"

"I want to make my own legacy." I shrugged.

"Legacy?" Glory scoffed. "We're right here. We're your legacy."

"You most certainly are not," I snorted and Glory frowned.

"But what about Qibli?" Turtle asked. "Isn't he your boyfriend or something?"

"Yeah!" Qibli agreed. I merely rolled my eyes.

"But you might not come back," Moon cried. "You could die out there! Why would you want to risk that? What about us, your family?"

"Look, you are all doing something with your lives. Kinkajou getting married, Deathbringer and Glory are having a freaking child, and Qibli's going to propose to Moon. I want to make something of my life."

Nobody spoke as Glory facepalmed.

"Qibli's going to propose to me?" Moon squeaked.

"Really, Winter?" Tsunami asked. "You really just said that in front of Moon?"

Moon's eyes traveled to Qibli, who was busy glaring at me with the 'are you serious, bro?' look. I laughed apologetically.

"Sorry, bro," I apologized, realizing how I had ruined something so big.

"Oh-em-gee, YES," Kinkajou screamed. "Moon, we can totally have our wedding together! Holy cow, that would be so AWESOME."

"Well, that's ruined," Glory mumbled, glancing at Qibli, who sighed and turned to Moon.

"Sorry," he mumbled. "It's all ruined now. I guess there's really no point in–" Moon suddenly threw her arms around Qibli, accidentally knocking him over.

"You didn't react that way," Deathbringer mumbled in Glory's direction, who roughly shoved him.

I saw everyone all smiles, already forgetting about me. I took a step back and grasped my suitcase and started walking out.

"Bro!" Tsunami's voice called as she ran after me, grabbing my arm. The others quickly followed. "You're not actually going, right?"

"Of course I am," I said dubiously. "My plane leaves in an hour."

"What?" Kinkajou cried. "Why didn't you tell us sooner so we could have a goodbye party or something? You know, one last happy moment together."

"Because I don't need all that sappy emotion," I scoffed before rolling my eyes and pulling away from Tsunami. "I just came here to say goodbye. Now, I must go, or else I'll miss my flight."

Moon then grabbed my arm as I tried to walk away again. "Please don't leave us." I stared at her for the longest moment, and then I realized that I still hadn't gotten over her. I still loved her. I couldn't fight the impulsive urge rising in my adrenaline. I reached over and pulled her face closer before pressing my lips onto hers for a brief moment.

She stared at me in disbelief, unable to speak. I leaned down to kiss her again before Qibli gently pushed me away, staring at me.

"I let it happen once," Qibli said dubiously. "That's all you get."

I stared at Qibli to Moon for a long moment before scoffing and yanking my arm out of Moon's grasp, making her stumble forward a little. Kissing Moon felt amazing and set off fireworks in my stomach, but it was all over now. I noticed Deathbringer unintentionally pull Glory in just a little closer.

Turtle stepped up. "Are you sure you won't change your mind?" Turtle asked. "Because once you're on your flight, there's no turning back." I gripped my luggage tighter.

"I'm well aware of that, thanks."

Kinkajou threw her arms around me for one last hug and the others quickly joined in.

I hope I don't regret this.

After that, off I went to the adventure set out before me.

Time to create my legacy.

~911 words~