[25] Rookie

Kind of short... Cut me some slack, though🤧it's 11:55 pm rn and I'm lowkey tiredddd

"It's every man to themselves.
It's an inescapable situation.
You're on your own
On the dawn of this nation."

What if surprises occur and catch you off guard? What if you still need time to comprehend? Would it be every man to themselves, or would you reach out and lend a hand?

~Deathbringer~

"Wait, so... She wants Glory dead because..?" Indigo asked, rubbing her temple as she closed her eyes.

"She misses Deathbringer, I guess," Fathom muttered. Clearsight's body was laying peacefully on the couch, Fathom, Darkstalker, and Indigo all sitting around her. Fathom sighed. "Darkstalker, I'm s–"

"So what about me, huh?" Darkstalker suddenly asked. "Was I nothing to her? Was she using me the whole time?" Darkstalker buried his head into his hands.

"Damn," Indigo whispered as she tucked her blue hair out of her face. "Clearsight was nothing I imagined her to be." Fathom reached over and pulled her close to him.

"I know," he whispered. "That's why I had to stop her. I had no other choice. An innocent life was at stake."

And that also means I have to get Greatness out of jail, Fathom thought, regret filling himself as he thought of Greatness spending the majority of her life begin bars.

"Who's Greatness..?" Darkstalker asked as he looked at Fathom with confusion filling his eyes. Fathom had completely forgotten to shield his thoughts.

Fathom hesitated. "Someone Clearsight had me enchant, but that's beside the point. I need to free her."

Darkstalker ran a hand through his hair and sighed, standing up. "I'm going to wake her."

"What?" Indigo cried, abruptly standing up. "No! She's evil, Darkstalker! Why would you wake her up?"

"I need answers!" Darkstalker yelled back. "We could talk her out of it! She could be good again!"

Fathom stood up, too. "Darkstalker, I know you still love her, but what are the odds she'd just change? It's too risky. Just leave her asleep. This way, she won't be able to hurt anyone else. And, at least we're keeping her alive, right? Isn't this better than just killing her?"

"Plus, she doesn't love you," Indigo whispered. "But you keep thinking she does, and it's going to drive you crazy if you don't let her go."

Fathom placed a hand on Darkstalker's should, trying to bring him to a reasonable conclusion. Darkstalker's eyes grazed Clearsight lying there to Fathom's eyes. He sighed, burying his head in his hands.

"*"

Glory was curled up on the bed wearing a patient's gown with the blanket up to her chin. She was asleep, but not in a peaceful sleep. I sat in a chair next to her, caressing her arm.

Tsunami and the others were out in the waiting room, only one person being allowed in Glory's room.

The middle-aged doctor came into the room holding a clipboard as he pushed up his glasses. I stood up, leaving my hand on her arm.

"Visiting hours are over," he said calmly. "You can come tomorrow at 5:00 A.M. if you like. That's the earliest visiting hours start."

"Alright," I said, running a hand through my hair, kind of tired. The doctor glanced at Glory and wrote something on his clipboard before mumbling something to himself and scuffling out of the room, beckoning me to follow him.