7| Go Fish *

MJ was awakened by the frantic knocking on her door. She groaned and sat up, the motion sensor lights glowing softly. "Come in," she called quietly.

The door opened to reveal Peter in his pj's. "Sorry to disturb you," he whispered as he came in, shutting the door behind him.

MJ patted a spot at the foot of her bed and he climbed on, sitting with his legs crisscrossed. "What's up, Night-Monkey?" she asked, referencing Peter's current favourite animal. "Why are you in my room at–" she checked her watch– "4:43 in the morning?"

Peter bounced a little to show her his tablet screen. "Ms. Romanoff's suit shows that it's in St. Petersburg, offline. It's abandoned. Yelena's suit is online but it's not on the ground... look." He tapped on Yelena's icon.

The tablet showed that Yelena's suit was well over 40 thousand feet in the air.

"What the shit?" MJ murmured, twisting around in her bed for her own tablet. She spotted it on her desk. "Peter, can you–" the tablet, connected to a spider-silk strand, landed in her lap. "Thanks."

"Yep."

MJ frowned as the display said the exact same thing on hers. "What in the..." She tapped a few things. "Huh. Can you pin it?"

Peter pinned it. "Satellite image?"

"You read my mind," MJ said.

The next few minutes were a waiting game for the Parker-Jones Satellite to go to that part of the world.

The two had made a smallish satellite over the summer and launched it into space with the help of Dr. Banner and Mr. Stark. It was a really cool thing, and they hoped to make another two to launch so that they wouldn't take so long to reach a destination.

Peter sighed and flopped back onto the rest of the foot of MJ's bed as they waited for the satellite. "So," he started.

MJ smiled wryly at him. "So," she echoed him.

They sat in a dim, quiet room as MJ's record player spun out a familiar tune.

"'As Time Goes By'?" Peter asked off-handedly.

MJ nodded. "One of my favourites."

There was another brief, no-talking period, and then both decided to break that.

"MJ, would you–"

"Pass me the–"

They both fell silent at hearing the other's voice.

MJ watched Peter carefully, a soft smile on her face. "Yeah, Peter?"

He blinked at her. "I, uh– I..." he stammered. "I... Would you... Are you busy tomorrow?" he blurted out quickly. Peter's head dropped onto his chest as he muttered to himself. "Not how that was supposed to go, nope." He glanced up sheepishly. "Uh–"

"I'm free," MJ replied without thinking.

Peter flushed. "G–great! Uh... I, uh... great."

After a short pause– "How was it supposed to go?" MJ asked casually.

Her friend flushed deeper. "Music, us two alone, a yes."

She smiled. "Sounds exactly like this," she noted.

The tablets pinged and they returned to their screens.

"What is that?" MJ whispered, all momentary awkwardness forgotten. "What– oh, bozhe moy."

The satellite was showing a floating fortress of some kind, but a small part had exploded.

MJ caught Peter glancing at her. "What?"

"Nothing, just–" he hesitated. "Russian?"

She shrugged. "I'm around Ms. Romanoff a lot. I picked up some things."

They went back to watching the castle in the sky slowly die.

"We should get Dr. Banner," Peter said.

MJ nodded and he pulled her out of her bed. They raced down the corridor to their mentor's room, but it was empty.

MJ looked at Peter. "The lab."

They went, bare feet feeling the cold marble of the floors.

She and Peter arrived at the main lab, where Dr. Banner was pacing the room. He stood up, alarmed at his proteges' sudden appearance.

"Are you two okay? Did something happen?" he asked.

They shook their heads no, but MJ slid her tablet over to Dr. Banner's spot.

The scientist studied the footage and looked back up at the teenagers. "This is where Nat is?"

"We're not sure," Peter answered. "Ms. Romanoff's suit went offline after you left St. Petersburg. But Yelena's is online, and she's there. We can send drones over, but by the time they're there, we could be too."

Dr. Banner looked at the two of them carefully, before making a decision. "Get your stuff, get changed, meet me at the Quinjet in five minutes. Got it?" he asked, ready to move.

Peter and MJ looked at each other and back to the scientist. They nodded.

Dr. Banner nodded and they all ran off in different directions.

MJ went back to her room and grabbed her medical bag, her equipment, her earpiece and a few hair ties. She figured she could reprogram her clothes on the way there.

She ran into Peter in the hall and they both raced to the landing pad just as the Quinjet's lights lit up.

The ramp opened and Dr. Banner was there waiting. "Come on!" he called.

They ran up and the ramp started to close.

"Okay, we have about an hour and a half before we get there," the scientist said after a very tense two minutes of silence.

MJ slumped back into her seat. An hour? That could potentially be the hour where Ms. Romanoff and Yelena die!

She sighed and pulled out a deck of cards. "Peter?" she asked, glancing over to her friend. MJ tossed him the deck. "Go Fish."

-

They arrived at the coordinates that Dr. Banner set about fifteen minutes earlier than they were scheduled to.

"You know what we could try and make next?" Peter asked, grabbing their bags. "A quantum warp drive, like from that really old series, 'Star Trek'."

Dr. Banner chuckled. "We could try, but I'm not so much into quantum physics."

MJ shrugged. "It's okay. We know a guy who knows a guy." She looked to Peter.

He looked cluelessly back. "We do?"

She sighed. "Doctor. Hank. Pym. Remember? We met that Scott guy a while back?" MJ turned to Dr. Banner. "You were there too."

The scientist glanced up in thought. "Oh, yeah. Dr. Pym is awesome, best in his field." He regarded the Quinjet. "That might actually work."

They walked to an open field and sat down.

MJ checked her watch. "They should be here any minute," she muttered.

"Maybe they have a really nice cloaking device," Peter suggested. "Or maybe they're late."

An explosion somewhere far away shook the trees.

"What was that?" Dr. Banner called. "Are you guys okay?"

MJ glanced to Peter, who gave her a thumbs-up. "We're fine!"

A giant chunk of metal came flying down and landed in front of them.

"Great," the girl muttered. "Come on, move your ass, Parker."