13 - Nightfall

John cleared his throat.
"Can I ask you something?" -he looked her in the eyes. She nodded.
"What do you see in Javier that you don't see in me?" -he asked as he crossed his arms.
Charlotte's eyes widened as she began to show signs of blushing, hesitation, and nervousness.
"I-I don't know what you mean by that!" -she replied, looking away from John as she scratched the back of her head. John sighed annoyedly.
"You know what I'm talking about. Please stop pretending you don't." -he explained as he leaned back in his chair.

Charlotte looked around before saying...
"It's...his hairstyle that got me first, then the eyes. And that Mexican accent..." -she smiled lovingly, placing her hand on her chest. John fell silent as he realized it was not the best to ask further because he was not going to get a normal answer out of her.

Seconds later Javier joined them.
"Heyy! Care to hear some music?" -he asked happily.
"I'd be the happiest person." -she replied excitedly. John couldn't help but roll his eyes at how cheesy the scene was.
Javier somehow saw John's expression and put down the guitar on the table. Charlotte looked back and forth between them with a confused look.
"I have a better idea! If you beat me in a five-finger fillet, the girl is yours. If I win, she's mine." -Javier explained.
"You drunk or something? Both of us know this is pointless." -John wasn't in the mood to communicate with Javier further.
"Uhh, I don't want to take responsibility for the loss of you two's fingers because of me." -she explained as she shook her head.
Javier sighed, defeated.

"Okay then I'm just going to sit beside the campfire." -he waved goodbye as he grabbed his guitar and left.
"What was he even thinking?" -John asked with an annoyed tone in his voice.
"I'm not sure, but how is he this insanely hot?" -she looked at him as he was leaving. John had to keep himself from making that grossed-out face again.
"Okay, I...think I'm going to sleep. Goodnight." -he stood up from the table.
"Goodnight!" -she replied.

"Javier is seriously getting on my nerves now. I'm sure he is doing all this on purpose!"

John thought as he was about to enter the tent.
"Soo, how'd it go?" -Arthur asked as he looked at John before putting the book down on his chest.
"Terrible. Javier ruined it! He wanted to play five-finger fillet with me and the person who would've won, would've had Charlotte for the night. What a disgusting idea." -John explained.
"This would've been your perfect opportunity! Why didn't you take it?" -he interrupted.
"Because I don't want to have her for just one night! But hold on let me finish the sentence." -he sat down on his bed. Arthur was eagerly listening.
"Charlotte said that she didn't want us to lose any of our fingers, so Javier decided to call it off. To be honest, I wasn't in the mood to even play so it's better this way." -John further explained.

Arthur put the book on his bedside table and sat up on his bed.
"You either win or lose, there's no in-between." -he explained.
"C'mon now, don't pretend to be wise. You too, have been fooled before!" -John said.
"And that is exactly why I am wise. I learned from that mistake." -Arthur added with a slight smile before John fell silent. There were some minutes of quiet between the two.
"Anyway, let's focus on sleep now. Goodnight!" -he broke the silence.
"Goodnight, Arthur..." -John replied as he lay down on his bed, thinking about what Arthur just have said. It took some time for John to be able to fall asleep, but eventually, he managed to.

A little further away Javier's soft singing could be heard, him playing the guitar playing and the fire crackling in the background. The fire had dimly lit Javier and Charlotte, who were sitting on a log and listening to Javier. Later on, Charles joined them and they started chatting and enjoyed each other's company.

Apart from them talking, it was a quiet night. Eventually, they all got up from the fire and went into their tents.
As Charlotte was slowly walking, she started thinking...

"Why am I so confused by these two men? I can't understand my feelings towards them, I really can't. Ugh, I'm so damn complicated."