The Innocent

The Innocent

A loud knock woke me up from my slumber. Slowly, I pushed myself up, squinting as the moonlight shone through my window. It was hung up in the sky, a bright white sphere. I groaned as I sat up, my body sore from the run the day before.

Are Mum and Dad home? Impossible. They are at their honeymoon and will not be back till next week. Plus, they have the housekeys.

The knock was getting louder, the person must not have any patience. Not wanting him or her to wait any longer, I dashed out of my room and down the stairs. "Coming!" I shouted, my voice a little hoarse from my sleep.

I grabbed the doorknob and twisted it to the left. The door opened, a gush of wind blowing towards me.

I jumped in fright when I saw the girl. She was covered in blood, from her head to her toes. With the blood and her long black hair, she looked like a scary ghost from a horror movie. Her blue eyes stared right into mine, tears streaming down her bloodied face.

"Uhm, may I h-help y-you?" I stammered, unable to calm myself down. My mind started to think of possible scenarios.

Car crash? Accident? Or...

Murder.

That last thought gave me the chills. She couldn't be a murderer. Why would she?

She spoke in a whisper, too soft for me to hear.

"I'm sorry, can you say that again?"

I leaned forward and she spoke again, that time, her voice was louder than before.

I could hear those two words loud and clear.

"Help me."

Her legs wobbled and she collapsed in the doorway. I gasped and my first thought was:

Is she dead?

Squatting down, I placed two fingers in front of her nose, remembering how the police on television dramas did on unconscious people.

She's still breathing. Good.

I dragged her across the floor, leaving a trail of blood as if I painted the floor with red paint and a paintbrush. Using all my strength (I am a scrawny kid), I carried her onto the sofa in my living room. Next, I proceeded to wet a dry cloth and clean the blood off her face. She looks ten times better without the blood. Obviously. Her eyes twitched. And at that moment, she woke up.

She looked at me, clearly dazed. I helped her to sit up and took this moment to introduce myself, hoping to give her a sense of assurance.

"Hi, my name is Nicholas Lawson. You came to my house for help a few minutes ago, remember?" I talked really slowly, hoping she could take the time to process what I was saying.

"Yeah, I do. Thanks. I'm Reagan," She held out her hand to me and I shook it.

"Is he still out there?" Her words seemed to frightened herself.

"Who?" I looked out of the window. It was pitch black, but I could somehow sense that no one should be there.

"There's someone after me. So I ran to seek help."

"Would you like me to call the police? Since you know, you clearly were in a terrible ordeal."

She actually hesitated for a moment. I wondered why was that even necessary. If I were her, I would already say yes without a doubt.

"Yeah, that'll be great."

"Do you want me to do the talking?"

"Uh...if you don't mind. I want to not remember the...incident."