The Visitor

The Visitor

On Christmas Day morning, 5-year-old Tina squealed in delight as she dashed to the Christmas tree. 

"Mum! Dad! Hurry! I wanna open my presents!" She pestered.

Edith, Tina's mum, chuckled as she walked to the Christmas tree. "Okay, honey, let's wait for your dad, to come down."

Bob, Tina's dad, was at the top of the stairs, looking groggy. His hair was in all direction and his shirt was tucked out untidily. 

"Quick, Dad! You're a slowpoke," Tina teased at him.

He walked to the Christmas tree unsteadily and kissed his wife and daughter on the forehead. "Merry Christmas, darlings."

"Merry Christmas," Tina and Edith said it in harmony.

Bob smiled then said to Tina, "You can open your presents now, honey."

"Yay!" Tina cheered as she ripped the wrapping paper of her first gift off.

She opened the box and her eyes widened in surprise.

"IT'S A NEW DOLLIE! AND SHE'S SO PRETTY! I can't believe it!" No words could describe her excitement. 

It had  two braids as golden as the sun and eyes as blue as the ocean. It was wearing a pink dress with white flowers on it. And, it looked so human.

"I'm glad you like it, Tina. It is from your dad and me," Edith told Tina.

"I do, I do! Thank you, Mum," She kissed Edith on the cheek. "Thanks, Dad," She did the same to Bob.

She looked at her doll and smiled,"I'm gonna name you, Molly."

With that, she continued to open the rest of her presents.

*****

2 days later

Bob swore. And he rarely did. That meant someone had really made him very angry, and when Bob was angry, he was not someone you want to mess with. He slammed the receiver down. 

The door bursted open. Edith came rushing in. "What happened?" It was obvious that she was worried, it was written all on her face. 

Bob sighed. "I can't spend time with you and Tina on New Year's Eve. Apparently, they were short on people that day and I had to fill in for them. Of course, of all people, my stupid boss had to choose me. Just because I was late on handing in the project last week. He gets to go on holiday while I had to go back and work. Life's unfair, Edith. I had been working under him for so long and he don't promote me or anything. He barely recalls my name! I wish he could just go and die."

"Honey. It's okay, I don't want to stay up late anyway. It's alright not to spend time with us on New's Year Eve." Edith coaxed her husband to calm down.

"You sure?" Bob asked.

"Yep, you don't have to worry,"

Little Tina was standing outside her dad's office with her doll. She heard her parents talking and was curious about their conversation. 

"Dad's not spending time with us on New Year's Eve, Molly," Tina whimpered as a tear rolled down her cheek.

She wiped the tear away and continued. "All because of his boss. He had mentioned about him before. I think his name was Zachary Brown. He is a meanie."

She turned around and went to her room.

*****

A day before New Year's Eve