The Caller

The Caller

"Shhhh... Bear the pain, darling, I will carve more if you don't, " He covered my mouth to muffle my screams. His arm locking me in place.

"I'm gonna let go now, don't scream."

How could I not scream when he freaking carved my back?!

I nodded slightly, my heart beating loudly against my chest. I forced myself to stop screaming.

"Good girl, Avery Jenkins," He removed his hand away.

How did I even end up in this mess? I started to recall bits and pieces of the memory.

*****

The First Call

Avery

"We could've had it alllllll, rolling in the deeeeppp..." The song was blaring from my laptop. I was lying on my bed, procrastinating when I should finish my homework that was due yesterday. I couldn't care less about homework. What's the point of homework, anyway? Why can't we do it in school?

I was thinking about what excuse to give to my teacher when my phone rang.

"Ring! Ring!" Yes, I had the standard ring tone. I couldn't decide on what ring tone I should have so I chose the basic one. I paused the song immediately.

My phone was on my desk but I was too lazy to walk over to it. Instead, I took advantage of my flexible body and stretched as far as I could to reach my phone.

Almost there... Yes, I can touch it. A little bit more... Yes! I've got it!

Grinning to myself, I answered the call without looking at the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"..." No answer.

At first, I thought it was because of bad reception. It had happened to me a few times before. I hopped off my bed and walked to my living room, a place which had the best reception in the house.

"Hello? Who is this?" I said, hoping that the caller could answer me.

"Av...Avery..." An anonymous man whispered my name. Then, he hung up.

That was the most peculiar thing ever. He called me, said my name and hung up. What the hell?

Thinking that it was a prank call, I returned back into my room and unpaused Rolling in the Deep.

*****

The First Call

John

Hi. My name is John Benson. I am 22 years old this year. I'm supposed to study in college right now but alas, before I could even start college, I got into a car accident and died.

Because of the things I did in my life, I am in purgatory. The place where the deceased go to if they are not good enough for heaven and not bad enough for hell. What people don't know is, that the people in this place can resurrect. They can go back and undo their sins to go to Heaven or commit more sins to go to Hell.

As for me, I choose Hell. It is because I find it easier to commit a sin than undoing them. However, I must do something in order for me to go back. I must call a human. Then, a part of my body will go through the phone and enters Earth. Once all parts of my body have reached Earth, I will piece myself together and kill the human that I've called.

Since there are many humans on Earth, I had been assigned by the Devil to call this teenager girl, Avery Jenkins. She is eighteen this year. He gave me her number and I entered it on my phone.