Chapter 26

NTABEZIKUDE-

He walks out of the bedroom wearing black Adidas track pants, a matching hoodie and a red EFF beret. He’s whistling to an umzabalazo song, one would think his spirits are high, that he’s not bothered by his brother’s misfortune. But he’s a seething animal inside, a raging lion ready to devour.
He left his brothers and sister-in-law at the hospital, they will follow shortly. Mathonga and Bongiwe will join him and Vumile at the house in Northcliff. Hlabela preferred to book into a hotel and Ndleleni is flying back home as per Ntaba’s request.
There’s a voice coming from the kitchen, he follows it and as expected, finds his father seated on a barstool, engaged in a telephone conversation. They lock eyes for a millisecond, Vumile’s are shifty. The old man clears his throat before killing the call. A wide grin graces Ntaba’s face, he pats his father on the shoulder on his way to the fridge. He can feel his heavy gaze on him as he opens it and grab a carton of Mageu.  

“Muntu omdala, you’ve been looking at me since I left your wife’s womb. Don’t tell me you haven’t had enough.” This he says before quenching his thirst with the cold beverage.
“Don’t act smart with me, Ntabezikude.” Vumile snaps. “What do you know about Vukuzakhe and Sangweni’s youngest boy?”
Ntaba turns to his father, a smile is familiar with his mouth, so it easily finds its way there.
“Koti?” He raises his brows in question, his eyes though hold an answer.
Vumile doesn’t reply, he is impatiently waiting, brows cracked skyward.
Ntaba shrugs, “Modern day Romeo and Juliet, only their story won’t be a tragedy. I’ll make sure of it.”
“What are you saying?” Vumile is confused, although he kind of has an idea what Ntaba is talking about.
“Just that,” he finishes off his drink and tosses the container in a trash can. “If anything happens to my brother and his Koti, I will have to take out the people involved. I won’t spare even an ant?”
His voice is cold, neither is there life in his eyes. At this point, it’s hard for Vumile to recognise his son. He knows he is rowdy, but to resemble the devil? Wonders are here to stay.
“Who is this Koti?” Vumile asks. He shakes his head in defeat as his son smiles at him like an innocent little boy. He’s used to his many moods, how he’d transform like a chameleon in seconds.
“My brother’s heart.” If only life were as simple as this answer.
“Ntabezikude!” Vumile yaps, slamming a hand on the kitchen island. “What is this nonsense you’re promoting? Vukuzakhe is married to Bongiwe.”
“I know,” Another shrug from Ntaba as he leans against the fridge. “No one said he’s divorcing his wife and if he does, it will be his decision.”
“Is this what you boys do behind my back? This is bullshit, it’s unholy. How does a man lust after another man? It’s disgusting.” Vumile is yelling, waving his hand as a criticism. It seems to anger Ntabezikude, a rare thing to happen.
“What about you baba? Mr. Holier than thou. What, are you applying for Lucifer’s position in heaven?” Unlike Vumile, he keeps calm, but does not cloak the irritation in his voice. “This God you’re chasing sees right through you, that you are nothing but a wolf in sheep’s clothing.” 
“What are you talking about?” Vumile growls, he’s not sure he wants to hear this.
“Don’t you think it’s time to bring them home?” He fixes Vumile with a dark gaze, dark as this very night, somewhere between the Joburg lights, the hidden stars and the pitch black sky.

“With all due respect baba, you are too old to be living a double life. Nandi deserves better, it’s her misfortune she fell for a man like you.”
“Ntabezikude?” Shock suffocates Vumile that he reels back but maintains his balance.
Nandi ceased to be a secret the day he brought her to the Khanyile ranch. He didn’t disclose their relationship, but hoped his children would fill in the blanks. There was nothing wrong with them thinking she’s his mistress, every man has a side dish. A burger with mixed vegies or chips on the side, restaurants do it too. Solomon had 300 concubines, no one called him out on it.