Chapter 93

KHETHIWE-

Bab’Manyanga has been a blessing, I can’t thank him enough for what he’s done for us.  

My father was admitted into the hospital, he’s not doing well. It started with bad dreams, before hallucinations. A stroke followed. My mother would call me in the middle of the night cursing and wishing me all the bad luck in the world. 

I won’t lie and say it doesn’t hurt, I cut ties with both my parents. 

Aunt Rebecca didn’t know what my parents were up to, she knew there was a curse in the family but not where it originated. 

It turns out their siblings are also up to no good, that’s why there is a thread of poverty, unemployment and infertility in the family. 

I have officially moved in with Ntaba, lobola negotiations were finalised two months ago.   

My parents were not informed about the negotiations, I didn’t want them knowing. There’s too much witchcraft going on in that house, plus, they would’ve reminded me of Bahle and the bride price he paid. 

I don’t know where the guy is, neither do I care to know. I’m better off without him and the drama he comes with.

I’d like to think the party went well last night, I don’t know about Nala. I’m surprised that she is still here after the man she loves made it known publicly that he will marry her sister as well.  

I love my Ntaba but I will never agree to share him, even if God himself comes down and tells me that I have to share him with another person, I would deny his request point blank. 

“Khethiwe are you in there?” I hear him shouting outside the door. 

I wonder where he’s been, firstly he came home late last night. There was something dark and unsettling about him, he was less talkative. When I woke up this morning, he wasn’t here. 

“Yes,” I answer and finish making the bed. 

I woke up at my own time today, I should be ashamed of myself. 

The door opens just as I put the last pillow on the bed, his scent greets me first before I see his face. 

“You’re awake?” 

What is he asking me? I’m offended. 

“What did you expect? It’s after 10:00.” I say. 

His eyes seem to be digging for something, it’s the smirk on his face that bothers me. Does he know that I woke up late? 

“You were sleeping when I left?” He says, walking in the room with dusty shoes. 

I am not okay with what I’m seeing. 

“Ntaba, I’m not going to spend the entire day cleaning this room.” I want to push him outside but he’s a rock. 

“Yes, I know because today you are going on a cruise ship.” 

Mother-Father say what? 

He’s taking out a suitcase from the wardrobe, my eyes follow his every move until he’s throwing my clothes on the bed. 

“Can you repeat what you said? I’m not sure I heard right.” I ask as he starts packing my clothes.  

“I thought you might need to get away for a while, live a little before we get married. So I got you tickets to a cruise ship to Pomene Mozambique, Nala and the others will accompany you.” 

Shocked is not the word I’m looking for. 

“Ntaba, when did you decide this?” Wrong question. “We’re getting married next week, I can’t just up and leave.”