Chapter 46

MATHONGA
Forty-six

VUKUZAKHE-

It’s crazy how much progress he’s made in a space of a week, doctors are unable to explain it. His brothers have not come to see him, they speak on the phone time and time. He’s been seeing more of Hlabela and Bongiwe, Dalisile has not shown face yet.
No one has asked about whereabouts. It’s normal for her to disappear without a trace.
Hlabela is here, at the hospital. He came bearing dinner and a sour face, one Vukuzakhe has been seeing the entire week.
“What’s wrong with you?” He questions Hlabela while shuffling on the bed until he’s comfortable. “You look like you’re the one who had their brains scrambled.”
He adds a laugh, Hlabela does not find it funny. He almost died hau and here he is joking about it. The man put on the interrogation chair sighs, so much is on his mind, he will explode if he doesn’t vent.
“I messed up.” That’s a start.
When a man says he messed up, it’s either the police are after him or he broke the heart of his significant other. 
“Where is she?” Yep, Vukuzakhe knows his brother that much. 
“I don’t know, she doesn’t want to talk to me, she won’t take my calls.” Hlabela explains.
Very dreadful, Kushi is not okay with what happened the last time she met up with Hlabela. He tried to explain, but how do you tell your girlfriend that you can’t stand kids because your little brothers were torched alive? It was a traumatic experience, one that’s hard to talk about. 

“Give her time to cool off, she will come around.” This he says after Hlabela has explained what went on when Kushi came to introduce her kids.
“What if she doesn’t? She blocked my number, I have tried everything.”
He’s not about to cry is he? Kushi’s curry can’t be that nice, does she even cook for him?
“Do you want me to speak to her? Or better yet, ask Ntaba to speak to her. He can be very convincing.” That’s a funny recommendation, Hlabela chortles and stands from the chair. 
“I appreciate it but no, Ntabezikude’s way of talking involves kidnapping, followed by tormenting till the person has no choice but to agree to his demands.” Hlabela continues laughing, he’s not sure what he’s talking about. However, they know their brother to be violent. He does own a gun and he unashamedly waves it around for the world to see.
“Ha! You’ve seen him doing that?” An observant question from Zakhe.
“He watches those documentaries where people kill each other, I’m sure he’s taken notes and waiting for an opportunity.” Hlabela, they share a cheerful moment.
“Give her space, let her breathe. Even if it takes time for her to come back, she will eventually come back. You are a Khanyile after all, handsome as hell.” Vukuzakhe adds.
Hlabela ogles at him for a minute… handsome as hell? Khanyile? What in the land of the sick happened to Vukuzakhe? He laughs it off, his brother does not talk like this. Oh well… it doesn’t matter. The advice has been given—he sits back down, crosses his leg over the other and fold his arms across his chest. He decides the position is uncomfortable because his legs are long, the chair was not built to accommodate his build.

“Look at you, you’re a miracle, you even sound like a miracle.” Hlabela views.
“I know, I can’t say what really happened. The night I woke up feeling lighter than I’ve felt in years, I saw our great-grandfather in a dream.”
“Khahlamba?” Hlabela asks, raising a brow in question. He leans forward, places his elbows on his knees and joins his hand together. Still uncomfortable, sheesh, maybe remaining standing is not such a bad thing.
“In the flesh.” Or spirit in this case. “He called me dirty, untainted and said I needed to be bathed in water. I ran like a child that hates bathing, the old man chased me with a stick.” He laughs, it’s contagious that it affects Hlabela. 
“That’s a scene I would love to see.” Hlabela teases.
“He was upset when he caught me, as tall and big as I am, he gave me a hiding. I felt every thrash, it wasn’t meant to punish me. It was more like a parent setting their child right, when he was done he dragged me by my ear to the nearest river. There were other people bathing there, unfamiliar faces. The water was white, as if milk had been added in it. Khahlamba scooped a hand full of mud from the river bank, scrubbed my body with it and pushed me into the river after. I was given a bath like a child, I can’t recall what happened after.”