Chapter 84

BONGIWE- 

She is done running after a man who does not appreciate her, her mind is made up. She’s had enough, she thought he would fight for her and show her that he’s willing to keep her in his life.  

She knows she has fought a good fight, went through great lengths to stay in this marriage and chose her husband over, and over again. 

This time she chooses to put herself first. 

In her hand is a letter explaining everything, she wrote it last night while waiting for her husband. Thursday is one of the days he remembers her and comes home, but he didn’t. It hurts that he’s slowly forgetting her existence in his life. 

Vukuzakhe wants two life partners yet can’t handle one. What a joke… 

The letter is placed under his pillow, one last look at the room she slept in since she became Mrs. Khanyile. Memories flock in her head, she knows she’s giving up a lot. If she had a choice, she would take it. She drags her suitcase outside, and bumps into Khethiwe.  

“Are you going somewhere?” She looks at the suitcases, Bongiwe chooses to be rude and walks on. She owes no one an explanation.  

She decides not to report her departure, and gets into her car. Her heart is heavy, she is tired. There has to be something better for her out there. 

Tears start to pour down her cheeks as she drives out of the premises. 

NDLELENI- 

“A call came through from prison, Pule was rapped and hung by a fellow prisoner.” Ndleleni is listening to his brother over the phone while speeding to Banami’s place.  

Vukuzakhe has grown a tendency of telling Ndleleni everything, they have grown closer since the secret of how Vimbela and Sakhile died came to light. 

“Do you think Ntaba had anything to do with it?” What a question from Ndleleni. Then again, Ntaba is capable and they both know it.

“I don’t want to say anything that might be used against our brother, anyone might be listening to this phone call.” Zakhe sends a clear warning. “The jailer said a group of boys did it, some kind of jail mob justice. No one is willing to come forth with sturdy information. I don’t care about Pule, my baby finally got his own pound of flesh.”  

By baby he means Funokuhle, Ndleleni winces at the sound. He’s having a hard time wrapping his hand around the fact that his brother sleeps with a man every night. 

He’s been to their house once, invited by Vukuzakhe and the man couldn’t stay for dinner. 

“You really love him don’t you?” He didn’t mean to sound judgemental, he’s talking to his big brother after all. 

He knows Zakhe loves Funokuhle, he’s seen how he looks at the young man. It seems Ndleleni will not be getting an answer for his rhetorical question. 

“I’m not against your happiness bhuti, this comes from a concerned brother. You’re married to sis’Bongiwe, now there’s this boy…” 

“Bongiwe left me,” Vukuzakhe cuts in. “She texted me saying she’s leaving and not to look for her, divorce papers were delivered to the office today.”  

That’s quite a giant step taken by the wife. Ndleleni would send words of comfort if he were that person. 

“Maybe she’s better off, she wasn’t happy anymore.” Ndleleni. 

Almost everyone in the Khanyile household noticed it, but everyone was too occupied to actually ask how she was doing. 

“I guess,” comes a reply.