the christmas party | yeonbin

Description: Yeonjun and Soobin are both detectives, just working in different stations in New York City. It's the day before Christmas Eve, and Soobin's precinct is having a holiday party, but it doesn't turn out to be as fun as they thought.

. . .

Yeonjun was excited, but also a little nervous at the same time. He's meeting Soobin's colleagues for the first time, at the holiday party nonetheless. Soobin just got promoted to detective a few months ago, and of course, Soobin's stressing out about it too. But it's fine! They can just be their cute selves for the night and don't have to worry about work; what's better than that?

In the beginning, everything was going smoothly. Yeonjun parked the car in the garage without hitting anyone, something he's always been anxious about. He had to come straight from work to be here, and he already knew he was going to be late no matter what. It was alright, though. He would still go in there, hold his husband's hand, and just be an adorable married couple for everyone to see.

Yeonjun even went out of his way to grab flowers for Soobin's boss—Diana; a kind gesture that he didn't tell Soobin about because he wanted to see that little bunny smile his husband always gave him when he does things like this. It was subtle, but it just gets him through the day sometimes.

Yeonjun took a deep breath before he pushed the door open, sighing in relief when the warm air hit his skin. He could hear the faint Christmas music already, clutching onto the bouquet in his hand. He made his way towards the noise, finding the source when he turned the corner. There weren't as many people as he thought were going to be here, basically just all the employees and their spouses. He didn't have to look far to spot Soobin because he was kneeling on the floor only a few steps in front of him, helping a woman pick up papers she must've dropped.

Yeonjun smiled at that, watching the kind gesture and hearing Soobin continuously apologize for not paying attention to where he was going. The other thing Yeonjun smiled at was his outfit; a green button down shirt, gray pants with his holster and pistol on his belt, and a tie and suspenders that both had little Christmas trees on them. Yeonjun was wearing a complementary outfit; a red button down shirt, gray pants, and a tie and suspenders with santa hats and mistle toe on them. They spent a long time figuring out what to wear – well, let's correct that. Soobin spent a long time figuring out what they should wear to a small business-casual Christmas party. Yeonjun could tell it was important to him since he was making such a big deal out of it this morning, so he just went with it. And he agreed with Soobin when he said this morning, "Honey, we'll look so cute and festive and match-y! It's perfect!" So, Yeonjun just nodded and kissed his cheek before putting on the entire ensemble.

Yeonjun was about to take a step forward, but paused for some reason when another one of his coworkers came over to help. He had squatted down next to Soobin, placing a hand on his back and saying something that Yeonjun tuned out because all he could focus on was how his husband visibly tensed. He shouldn't have stopped himself.

He gripped the bouquet and stepped closer, saying, "Hey, babe." Maybe a little too loud to get his point across.

He reached down to help as Soobin turned to him, and he saw that bunny smile that he's missed for the whole day, "You made it!" Soobin said excitedly, and Yeonjun was slightly relieved when the guy took his hand away from his husband.

They all stood up, handing the papers to the woman and Soobin apologized one more time for good measure. He turned to Yeonjun when the woman walked away, smiling wide and instantly leaning forward to give him a kiss. It was small, not wanting to be unprofessional in a room full of his colleagues.