02 | One of the Boys

School life was pretty routinary and I was a creature of habit so it was easy. I performed as best as I could academically.

I didn't care about people's opinion of me, and I have no interest in wasting time with pleasantries which made it easy to sift through people whom I have no common interest with.

Jane, Daniel, and Jason has opted to stick with me no matter what attitude I show. The three of them were like glued together and it felt like they're trying to capture me in their sticky sap so I won't get away.

So I let them be because I was getting used to their presence anyway. Somehow, it's comforting to have them around. Not only that, most of my classmates were unusually easy to get along with. I guess it's not as difficult as I thought it would be.

I wondered... was I the only introvert in this very extrovert school? People sucked up my energy nonstop.

"Caitlin, do you know the answer to number five?" asked James, whom everyone called the heartthrob. He came to me with his opened notebook and put in on top of my desk. The page showed our homework from yesterday. I glanced at him for a few seconds and returned to my book.

He seemed like a cool person, body and looks conscious... extraordinarily friendly. He was every girl's crush. He has dazzling grey eyes, perfect brows and nose, perfectly styled taper haircut, adorable lips that always has a charming, little smile... I cleared my throat discreetly.

'What was that about, Caitlin?!' I quietly scolded myself.

"If you listened yesterday, that's an easy one," I said without looking at him. I continued reading.

"Please? Help me, please? Teach me..." He sat beside me, put his chin on both his palms and he leaned his elbow on my desk. He blinked many times. 'Cute'. I cleared my throat once more and held my nervous laugh in.

'Oh, what am I thinking?!'

Girls threw daggers at me through their fiery stares. It must be tough for them seeing James come to me without hesitation while they've been trying hard to get noticed.

James was kinda like a girl's idea of a perfect guy. Good looking, amazing personality, and he's not that bad academically and he proved that he's trying, too. He's giving me the goosebumps. I thought watching horror movies with brother made me immune to such thrill.

I helped him and when he finally understood it, he happily left.

"Caitlin, I have a question," Darren came to me next and without waiting for me to say 'yes, I am fine with you asking me a question.' He launched it anyway. "Which colour do you think suits me best, yellow, blue, or red?"

Darren is the epitome of empty vessels make the most noise. He's at the lowest rank and he wasn't bothered because he's got money. He's more concerned about his looks than his grades.

"Blue." I replied, I just wanted him out of my sight. But he's not finished.

"Why do you think so?"

"Because your skin is pale."

"I see, thanks!" He patted my head and left.

I totally believed if I read a book, my classmates would be intimidated and keep out. But they liked to hammer away at the peace I continually build for my sanity.

Two more came over to ask if I have seen a certain story and talked to me about it in detail, we have kind of hit it off and we conversed flawlessly... These are the people I liked to talk to. The other asked if I have a game console at home and we shared our opinions on things related.