Chapter 14

The Present

Jon led the girl out towards his car, with a little reluctancy from her. She had been told the whole situation by her mom, but that didn't mean she wanted to leave her grandparents for someone who she had just met who supposedly could be her dad. It's not like she knew if he was it wasn't. Her mind was just to young to comprehend.

"Is there anything special you'd like to do?" He asked, helping her into the backseat of his truck, since it suddenly looked like a huge step for such a little girl.

"Ummmm... maybe just go get ice cream? Or we could go see the new Disney movie coming out!" She said, her eyes lighting up.

Her dad buckled her seatbelt, even though Bailey was adamant she could do it herself, and she could, but Jon really wasn't sure what he was doing, and for some reason, doing this, made him feel safer.

He was about to respond on what they could do that day, before he heard his phone ring. When he saw it was his husband, he panicked a little. He could continue to lie, which would be the stupid idea, or he could come clean about the truth, which would be the smart thing.  But that was something he felt like he should do in person, face to face.

What he did, was probably the worst decision of them all, and just silenced the call all together, putting his phone back into his back pocket. Jon knew things between him and Harley were already bad, and what he just did was probably going to make them worse, but he couldn't discuss it right now.

"I don't think your mom would be very happy if I just took you to get ice cream, so Disney movie it is." He laughed quietly, getting into the drivers seat.

"Mommy let's me get ice cream a lot though. She wouldn't mind. But it's okay. I understand" She said, looking out the window before pulling a toy out of her bag and starting to play with it while her dad drove to the nearby movie theatre.

He heard his phone go off again, and he looked back at Bailey, who seemingly wasn't paying any attention, so he decided to answer.

"Hey, babe. I'm sorry. But I really can't talk right now." Jon said, keeping his voice as quiet as possible.

"What? Why not? Who are you with? Why are you talking like that? You said you were ar a work thing, but you don't even have a job right now. I know your lying and hiding something from me. I accepted it at first, but now I need to know what it is.

"I can't talk right now, Harley. I'll call you later. Probably around 10 or 11." He said, not even giving his husband a chance to answer before hanging up.

"Who was that?" Bailey asked from the backseat.

Well, it was true. Little kids were really nosy.

Jon knew he should at least let Bailey know of Harley if he ever wanted the chance of bringing her home.

"That was.. that was my husband." He finally told the truth. It almost felt like a relief.

Bailey tilted her head a little and raised an eyebrow. "What's a husband?"

Jon laughed a little. "It's the man I'm married too, sweetheart."

"Oh. Will he like being around me?"

"I'm sure he'll love being around you." He said, finally starting to drive, feeling like a huge weight was taken off his shoulders.

One of them knew about each other, know he just needed to get the other one to know.

"What movie was it that you wanted to see?" Jon asked, pulling up to the movie theatre as he got out, then went and helped Bailey out of the car seat he had borrowed from her grandparents.

"Frozen!" She said with an excited smiled.

"Don't think I've heard of that one." Jon said, grabbing onto her hand so she wouldn't get lost.

"It's so good! I've seen a lot of times!"

"Already? You must be a very lucky girl!" He said, going up and buying two tickets.

"Thank you." She said and grabbed hers.

"No problem."

Maybe this really was easier then he thought. He hadn't had any problems with her. Maybe he really wouldn't have any problems being a parent.