Chapter 19

"What would he do when he finds out that he and Mama had a child?" I asked Olivia, and yet she could not even conform. Her father alone is familiar with the idea of my father's likely response. "You do not have to worry, Mike, John is a genuinely nice person—I can assure you that once he finds out he is now a father, he will even be overjoyed; that he's not completely sterile!" Making light of anything can be daunting. However, we were left with a choice to laugh it all off, since apart from all the great pleasures in the world, having a good laugh in such a difficult time is perhaps the only unusual perspective I need to consider; and most people too.

After a few hours, the phone's dialing sound was unexpectedly silenced, which meant that he now had indeed acted to answer it. But neither of us tried to take the phone from the middle of the table; Olivia somehow got to put it on speakerphone, as the person I had been waiting for finally talked.

"How are you, cousin? Do you still recall me?" Olivia's father was the first to talk to my father. He kept going until after he was able to sway him to remind "John" about Mama; he sort of laughed at Mama's regards to him, and later on, he knew about Olivia and I being the best of friends. His reaction though is just as innocent and seems to have this deep voice that can't quite believe his and my mother's worlds are colliding once more. He had always been "the one that got away," according to Mama, something that, as far as I can understand, Dad had known since he started dating my mother. I was feeling even more appreciative and fortunate to be their son; with three great parents.

I gave Olivia's father the chance of telling "John" that he has a son, because I just was unable to express my thoughts and because given the fact that I was crying, I was unsure of whether he would take me into his life. Although, after he knew about me, things began to change. "Are you Rose's son, Michael?—Is that your name, am I right? Are you our son, my son?" He stammers before me, and I won't hold our communication's iffy stream of data against it, because I know that he, on the other line of the phone, is also sobbing.

I accepted him and his eagerness for forgiveness, because he was clueless that he and Mama became parents, that he became a father. And the time that was lost by his failing to introduce himself was simply a result of his innocence of my past.

I now am satisfied. The time has finally arrived for John and me to meet. John? Should I greet him by name? What about "dad"? But that is what I call my other dad. Perhaps I can address him as "papa"? The only person who deserves to go by that name. How will it then turn out? I don't even know. And after a week, "John" at last came home. Together with Olivia, we had personally fetched him up at the airport, not even expecting what would follow.

I didn't think twice when he arrived and rushed up to give him a bear embrace. I wouldn't even need a DNA test to prove that he is my father; I already know and feel that I've found what I've been searching for for a tremendously good number of years. "Because of all the bad circumstances, I'm afraid I have nothing to present you with." He said lowering his gaze. And even after that, I won't be surprised about how he and Mama met and how she described my father, as a good and humble person; the reason I am standing before him right now on this earth. Then I see how worn-out my father looks; It was meant to prove that this is the cause of life's difficulties and the challenges inherent in earning a living. Even if things weren't great for him away from home, I guaranteed that life would be better for him now that we are next to each other.

I checked off everything on my "bucket list" for when we eventually met before heading to the house I built for him. Giving him a complimentary lunch at my chosen restaurant is the first thing to go and do and a spa day to aid his body in recovering from the strain of his hard work. Just now, I started to realize that he is not like Mr. Barcelon, who was once portrayed as my father —whilst he consistently tries to resist anything I give him or offer him, perhaps out of shyness.

When he and Mama kept in touch, Papa addressed their perceptions; they didn't rekindle their romance, according to him, because they were conflicted and were invested in their separate relationships. "Your mother and I encountered once in Manila. But she claimed she was heading to London at the time —we made a promise to one another back then, and that promise is still set in stone." He then mentioned that both of them agreed that if nothing developed in either of their relationships, they'd give both another a shot. He did not marry. He waited patiently. He waited for Mama.

I told him it hasn't been an easy life for Mama. Although dad passed away unexpectedly, she was still enthusiastic, and we were too, but I think it's time for my mother to be done mourning. "You bravely waited for the ideal moment—what if I proposed that perhaps this is your chance and Mama's end of the game?" I could tell from his reactions that he did not initially get what I was trying to say to him. If anything is to go by, it looks likely that he is still hoping. If there is still something there. I chose to act in a way that will provide solutions in the hopes of knowing my mother's opinion; much of my questions but instead of their own "what ifs."

My parents' paths soon intertwined through a video chat. And though they felt socially awkward, they sincerely greeted each other as if they were still teenagers. Nevertheless, I genuinely think that my mother has already gone so far for my father, and she's ready to leave me with him. "The person you will live for the rest of your life is your son, John; he came into our lives unexpectedly, but I am sure that everything happened for a reason." He didn't speak up and just let Mama settle everything that went wrong with them, and settle the things about me. "We're still friends, you know that—and thanks to our son, he did not give up on you, and because of him that we are finally in this situation. You deserve every right to happiness."

Seeing my parents share stories for the first time was pleasant to the eyes. Although I suppose they can only interact via screens, which is futile to feel. However, I'm someone who can at least reconnect with them, possibly still as friends.

I could say that the pieces of the puzzle that I jumbled up have now been put together. The questions have been addressed, and although I am certain that there will be more in course of time, there are always solutions; seeing as we are together here and now. Furthermore, I have accomplished all of my objectives, such as being a father to my siblings; having Mama back in our life completely, finishing my architectural studies, and becoming a licensed architect. I did not imagine any other events in my life at this time, since I had been focused on providing care and support for my father, and utilizing the lost time to our advantage. Buy one day, I got a phone call from someone, and who was encouraging me to sign up for the latest draft in the Philippine Basketball Association. The most incredible team I have ever met is one of the teams that has contacted me, and although I was elated to join; things turned out very differently than they were before.

"Should I accept this offer?"

I'm not sure if I should be egoistic right now, just because some of my goals in life have just become a real thing. And among those aspirations is reuniting with my biological father; quite enough for me to stay where I am.

All those times that Papa and I were separated are still important factors for us. As they say: time is short. I could even find anything if I linger where my feet have led me, even the ideal partner, whom I will spend my time with and start a family when I am older, or perhaps not. I might live out my years all alone, and that would be without concern if I could only stay relatively forever young; although I'm not going to be.

I will indeed be gray and get old.