Mike's Life Lessons

When I first started looking for what was missing in my life, nothing was more important to me than to have a complete family. I soon lost my mother for six years after the person I thought of as a father tragically died, which neither I nor anyone else was particularly prepared for.

Since I lost my beloved mother six years ago, a lot has changed. Only there did I appreciate the value of time, to spend much time with my siblings, especially trying and ensure they were comfortable and prioritizing their wellbeing.

When I started working hard to meet their needs, including paying for their education, it felt even more gratifying. They seem to have taken over my entire life, but I never grew tired of doing things solely to make up for what was lost and gone.

But even before I fulfilled someone else's dream, I had my own. Even though I had to work hard to accomplish all of their aspirations, I nonetheless did feel grateful to be able to do it, till a new dream led me to a puzzle and a question. It was when I first met Coach Migs Barcelon at that time, and he was one of the people who helped me and inspired me to pursue one of my aspirations. To be a great basketball player.

However, as soon as things started to go well between me and Migs—who I have known as my father—Mama suddenly showed up, reminding everyone who knows her how she strongly disagrees with everything, particularly with my attempts to make time to spend with my father.

By the time I realized I wasn't Migs Barcelon's son, I had already lost some of my dreams as a consequence of him, because I accepted him to be my father; and had the strange thought that perhaps what had happened to me was my karma. That I was choosing poorly for myself.

Nikko was one of his children, hence I couldn't hate them for that, especially Fred. I wasn't as pleased, though, to learn that he, my ex-brother and my rival for Olivia's heart, knew that we were related by the woman he loved. Olivia becoming my girlfriend and my cousin is a sad thought! And that this is only one of Mama's mysteries that have come to light; what if she has far more to hide? that something other than this occurs?

Somehow everybody has moved on because I am. I'm beginning to think differently about life, and it's making progress. But as a child, I can't help but be concerned that I might learn something more about my mother; to know anything about the reason for her absence and where she eventually went. And if she had a chance to leave us once more?

Moreover, Mama and Papa may settle down together and live together. But only if my father likes it, and perhaps if she ever will. What if she does have a new husband that we are oblivious of? And for that reason, Mama simply wants to be kind to my father, to all of us?

Knowing what someone is trying to think is quite challenging. Is it because of the consequence of the sheer number of issues and struggles people face daily? Yet, even though we believe there is no chance, we always need to be concerned about everything, so that a solution can be found. I learned that having faith in what might unfold the following day is sufficient.

There's no need for urgency; instead of tormenting yourself by choosing a different path, just be fortunate with what is already there. It can be done, no matter how challenging it is. All my problems were surmounted by me before I met my father and those who greatly valued me.

The End.

***

"Don't settle for less."

"Never in a million years give up the strong and complete family you tried to keep."

"Never make decisions hastily; always give them thought."

"Do not alter who you are in an effort to win the favor of others."

"If you feel incomplete, try to find a positive perspective on it because there is no such thing as perfect family."

"Make an impact, seize any chance that comes your way, and take risks."