Chapter 7

I felt like an outcast, and I feared my day would going to be messed up. But all of a sudden, I spotted my father in the school gym, busy giving advice to the team's rookie basketball players. We ran into each other again while I was going casually in the school's hallway; it was uncomfortable, so I just fixed myself while waiting for the students who had welcomed him to pass by and as he grinned, "Oh, Mike, so this is where you attended school? Come on, I'll show you around the school grounds because it appears that you are still getting used to your surroundings after your trip." We almost circled the entire area before stopping at the cafeteria to get some drinks. I couldn't help but notice how the other students, who were also eating there, were gazing at us. "Isn't it odd that the other students are staring at us? "Uhm? Mr.? — What can I call you?"

I mumbled my grievances about what could be a conflict if everyone found out that we were father and son, and I was just his offspring to someone else and not to his wife. "Papa, call me, Papa. But since you are as modest as I can behold, you can call me "Sir" when we are here at school." I gained more confidence in myself to study hard and be focused on what I do because now I know I have someone to guide me and support me in my chosen field. Sure, I am the luckiest person now. I have the feeling of a child who is slowly developing his temperament, even if it is still a little far from being 100 percent okay.

In the small period of time that "Papa" and I spent together, we felt just at home—perhaps the same way a father and son could feel for the first time. Additionally, the thing I'm seeking that we both share is directly related to playing basketball. I was thinking if my life was just like the stories in the "movies," where everything would be stressful and it would be hard for my father to recognize me because I am his son with someone else and not the lady he got married to. On the other hand, it turns out that this is what I did believe and was realistically possible, contrary to Mama's perceptions. Although Dad's early death was not my fault and the four of us were content when Mama was still with us, if their lives had turned out differently and we remained all together, this would not have happened. Perhaps everything is exactly how I had imagined it to be when I was a young child.

Papa also discussed how close I was to my dad in terms of our connection, but as I told him what happened, I broke down in tears. I was acting like a child at the time and was unable to contain my feelings because I knew he was and always would be the great parent I had. "We spent a great deal of quality time together, and he gave me all I was lacking both physically and emotionally. However, that was only then; my dad died when I was only five years old. However, I'm no longer a kid, and I felt bad for my siblings because they never had the same memories with their real father as I did."

"If only Mama was here with us."

Papa patted my shoulder, ensuring that everything would go perfectly and informing me that, now he is there. He promised to take me back, even not when I was a child, but now that I'm an adult, and gets to educate me on certain things he learned when he was younger, which is in some ways fascinating. I began to be honest with him, saying things that I wasn't sure were appropriate to express. I had nowhere to go except Dad's grave because I was the oldest and had to remain there for the consolation of my siblings, where I was unable to find either advice or solutions.

But to be fair with Papa and his honest intentions in getting to know me, not everyone is satisfied by what he's showing, especially grandmother. I mean, whose loved ones even want to destroy your happiness? Did they think that my father would destroy me? That probably wouldn't happen, so I assured Grandma that everything would be alright and that she wouldn't have to worry.

Every time Papa and I met, I could still see her lifting an eyebrow despite my comfort. Yet, Mama's siblings are powerless to do anything but agree with Grandma's actions, because they admit that they still find the situation objectionable, which I completely understood. I can see the uncanny likeness; it feels like we were just with Mama in the form of granny. And it made her even more upset when she found out that Papa and I had built a business that I told her about later, and that I wasn't just spending my money on building a car shop if it weren't for the investments that had been taught to me by my father. "Your father is no exception from the people who might just use you because you got a lot of dimes in your pocket," but to think about it, I don't think my father will ever do that to me.

Papa formally welcomed me into his family once we made a successful business and I had earned enough profits on my investments. I was able to go to their lovely house that night that day. With the pricey wine I brought, I overtly exhibited my refinement to avoid being unnerved by their initial reaction, which I knew would linger, whether they thought it was great or not at all.

I observed some photos on the shelf of Papa's family—his wife and their three sons—while I sat in the living room and anxiously await of there presence. The only one to greet me when they saw me was Papa; even a smile seemed to go unseen at the time, though I honestly thought I was being welcomed. The moment I sensed that everyone was looking at me during the course of our dinner, I started to feel overwhelmed. They didn't desire for me to dine with them because the atmosphere was just so tranquil, till Papa started talking. "Did you know Mike was a UCLA scholar? Who played basketball for their team on the varsity? Being on the same squad as you, Fred is a great asset because we can learn a lot of fresh tactics from how international players approach their sport. And as for you, Nikko, you should also learn what Mike had discovered, so that you can improve in the game you are playing, you are about to graduate, and the PBA won't wait for you to be as outstanding."

I noticed my half-brothers' expressions every time Papa spoke of where I first came from; they appeared to be unapproving of what he was asserting about me, making me some kind of a hero in the field of sports. In studies as well as basketball, we share the same course at university, thus his second son and I, and unlike his oldest who is soon to graduate, whom I presumed he and I would graduate together since I've quit school for the second time, I guess.

It's undeniable from their glances that they don't want me in front of them, particularly Nikko, who is also going to train for the PBA, and their mother has a bit of a "no" expression toward me, whom I even call "Tita" Chelsea. When I returned to school, I just found out that almost all the subjects I was taking were just as similar as Fred's, and knowing so gave us an awkward moment, thinking about how we are half-brothers.

Although it was difficult to fulfill the aspirations of Papa's family, the youngest member of them, who is only a year younger than Eli, was a help to me. He is a little different from his older brothers, who continue to ignore me. Having said that, I don't believe our differences will cause us any trouble for very long; sooner or later, I'm confident that they'll accept me as their brother.