Chapter 4

Newt and Ava walked through the crowd, hand in hand. They were preparing to leave New York. Ava was wearing a jacket, a patterned scarf, and her newly bought backpack.

Tina walked besides them. They stopped before the boarding gate. Tina looked rather anxious.

Newt smiled. "Well, it's been..."

Tina returned his smile. "Hasn't it!" Her expression turned expectant. "Listen, Newt, I wanted to thank you."

He looked surprised. "What on earth for?"
"Well, you know, if you hadn't said all those nice things to Madam Picquery about me—I wouldn't be back on the investigative team now."

"Well I can't think of anybody else that I'd rather have investigating me." Newt said, then his facial expression immediately became awkward.

Tina smiled. "Well, try not to need investigating for a bit."

"I will." He agreed. "Quiet life for me now—"

"Not with me in it!" Ava interrupted, grinning.

"—fine, an almost quiet life," he glanced affectionately at Ava. "Back to the Ministry...deliver my manuscript..."

"I'll looked out for it." Tina promised. "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them."

A vision took Ava and she cringed. "Right—I'm going to leave—this is going to get lovey-dovey real quick—bye!" And she retreated off before they could reply.

A moment later, Newt joined her on the grubbyplank.

Once Tina was out of hearing range, Ava grinned at Newt. "Well? Did you snog?"

His face went scarlet. "No!"

She laughed. "Just teasing."

Once the boat started to move, Ava had the biggest smile she had ever worn. She was finally going to live a normal life.