Chapter 9

The dragon soared over Paris, the sun reflecting off of her pearl-white scales

The dragon soared over Paris, the sun reflecting off of her pearl-white scales. She needed to get to the French Ministry of Magic, first. The building came into view. The dragon's eyes widened when she saw two familiar figures rushing towards it. Newt and Tina. She swooped down in front of them, blocking their path.

Newt's love for creatures was activated. He sucked in a breath and held out a hand. "Hello. Aren't you beautiful?"

The dragon snorted as if to say 'I know I am.'

"Mr. Scamander," Tina said impatiently. "It was your idea to go to the French Ministry of Magic in the first place—"

"I know, I know..." he stared wistfully at the dragon. "She's an Antipodean Opaleye, they're very rare, known to usually dwell in valleys rather than the mountains, which is unusual for dragons, and Antipodean Opaleyes are considered to be the most beautiful breed of dragon."

"Mr. Scamander—!"

"Alright...alright..." they turned to leave, but froze when a familiar voice spoke.

"A bit rude, now is it, Goldstein?"

Ava was standing where the dragon had stood only seconds before. Sure, she looked a bit beaten up, but she was alive. Newt had thought otherwise.

"Ava..." he said, shocked.

She smirked. "Missed me?"

"You're an illegal Animagus!" Tina accused.

"Tina, I just escaped Grindelwald's freakish mansion after he kidnapped me," Ava said wearily. "Cut me some slack."

"Grindelwald?" Newt echoed.

"Grindelwald." She confirmed, then grinned. "I head butted and bit one dude and punched someone else. Real proud of that." Her grin faltered. "He's rallying. We need to stop it. He's already strong—the last thing we need is him getting even stronger and gain followers. Especially if he gets Credence."

"We're going to the Ministry of Magic first," Newt told her. "If we find Credence's true identity, he might yet be saved."

"It's a trap." Tina said. They had just entered an underground amphitheater where Grindelwald was rallying. They had found Credence and Jacob with some girl and a man—they had met Leta, and they now know that Credence isn't a Lestrange.

Thousands of witches and wizards milled around the amphitheater, some already seated on stone benches. The atmosphere was edgy. Some were nervous but curious. Others excited, still others ready for a fight. Masked Acolytes stewarded the crowd.

On Newts shoulder, was Ava in her Animagus form.

"Yeah." Newt agreed. "Queenie—the family tree—it's all been bait."

Ava looked around. Acolytes were moving to cover all the entrances.

"We have to find a way out of here, right now." Tina said urgently.