Chapter 17

Sarah

For the next 3 weeks this was my life. Either going to the office and sorting out a bunch of paperwork or sitting in the van waiting for anything interesting and afterward going home to do nothing.

The bugs inside Gabriel's car stopped working, so we couldn't hear the conversation there anymore, but the GPS tracker was still functioning so we had an agent following him and another Rafael. We thought that we had gotten the location of one of their deliveries, but when some of the other agents went there, there was nothing.

Rafael really was a slippery fucking eel. He never did any of the dirty work himself but always sent someone else.

Gabriel hadn't gone to go hotel that much either, so listening in the van was a waste of time. In all this time, he hadn't said a word. We could hear him going into the hotel room, but he was there for a few minutes and then left again.

It was weird, I started to forget what his voice sounded like. And because Gabriel knew me, I couldn't be playing on the field with the others anymore. I asked Henry to assign me another case where I didn't have to do paperwork, but he didn't let me.

I met up with Julia and Lena a couple of times where we went out to get a coffee and gossip about work and they asking me about Jake and Gabriel but other than that, I had a pretty non-existing social life. I promised them that we would go and have fun in a club, just the three of us, but I honestly didn't feel like going out and being surrounded by so many people.

I also went to my mom and sister, but they don't know that I work as an FBI agent, so having to pretend to be a consultant for some company I made up was hard.

Another two weeks passed. This time there had been a big police action because Rafael's group and another gang under the leadership of Cassier got into a dispute and a total of 8 people died under the gunfire exchange.

My heart was racing when I found out because I was scared Gabriel was one of them. But luckily it was mostly members from the other group and 3 of Rafael's guys. It was nobody that we were familiar with. Still tragic, but I was happy it was not Gabriel or any of his family members.

According to our sources, Cassier's right hand was caught by them, and they had been torturing him to send a message to Cassier for the attack. Apparently, this fight started when one of Cassier's men was caught selling on Rafael's territory and they shot him. Cassier did a retaliation and it ended up with the 8 dead members.

By the time the police arrived, all of them were gone.

I also returned back to my own apartment since Gabriel hadn't tried to contact me for all this time. We closed that chapter and now just focused on working with the other undercover agent, Lucas. He had difficulty gaining information, as everything was only shared between Rafael, Gabriel, Leonardo, and Michael, their other cousin. Lucas hadn't even spoken to or seen Rafael all the time he had been working for them. The warehouse is not permissible for everyone, so he hadn't gained access to go there yet.

I put on my gym outfit and went for a run in the park. I felt so useless still after all this time too. I didn't really make any progress with the paperwork, there was nothing of interest in the van and the fact that Gabriel had just forgotten about me so fast and didn't even try to text or get in touch with me again really impacted me. Every time, I would get a message on my phone, I had hoped it would be from him apologizing and asking for us to get back together.

Now after 5 weeks of not seeing him, I was tired of feeling sorry for myself and letting him control my emotions. I was slowly getting over it and I was so happy about it.

Lena and Julia tried to convince me to go to the same club I had seen him at several time, but I didn't want to go because I was scared, he would be there. Of course, I didn't tell them that, but now it didn't bother me as much anymore.