Chapter 12

Sarah

Saturday Gabriel canceled our 'appointment' and said he couldn't make it because of work. Some of the other agents were going to the club, so I decided to go with them and have fun instead of staying home and being bored. It had been a long time since I had been out for real and not on a mission.

I wanted to have fun tonight. I had spent the two other days thinking about Gabriel and how mad he got because of me calling him weird. And him canceling today just made me feel worse. I didn't even know why I cared so much.

I dressed up and put on makeup, maybe a little too much, but I wanted to look good. I found my tight red short dress going mid-thigh and put some comfortable heels on. I put my hair in a tight sleek ponytail, so if I dance too much I would not look like a scarecrow.

I took a taxi to the club and met David, Lena and Julia there. We all studied at the academy together. David and Lena worked in the same department as me, but Lena was not that involved in the case as me and David. She did more paperwork. Julia worked on the other side of town, so we wouldn't see her too often at work.

We sat down at one of the high tables inside the same club that I met Gabriel at and then I saw Jake coming our way...

I did not expect him to be here. He didn't answer the group chat, so I didn't think he was coming, otherwise, I would have just stayed home. The others got up and hugged him and I got up too just to not make things awkward. And also so they didn't suspect anything. He gave me a half-hearted hug, I could see he was not happy to see me at all.

"Glad you could make it." David shouted over to music. He sat down across from me, and I just sat there sipping my drink not really saying anything. We sat and tried to talk. Jake didn't even pay any attention to me and kept talking with the others. He would look at me from time to time but other than that he was ignoring me.

I knew I had done nothing wrong, but why did it feel like it? I felt like I had cheated on him, but he was not my boyfriend and I ended things before I slept with Gabriel.

"Do you guys wanna dance?" I shouted to the girls. I didn't want to sit and feel guilty or awkward. I came to have fun and if he was going to be like that, it was his problem. Frankly, I shouldn't care. And I didn't. Which was kind of surprising considering how much I missed him the other day.

We got up and went to the dance floor while the guys kept sitting and talking. Who the hell comes to a club to talk? The DJ was lit, so dancing was easy. I already had a few drinks, so I felt warm and ready to let loose on the dancing floor. The girls and I were dancing together and occasionally had to move because some creepy guys came to dance with us.

We were having a good time and even the boys came and joined us. Jake stood on the other side but he kept looking at me and I tried to ignore it and turn my back to him to dance with Lena.

We all ordered new drinks for the table and sat down to relax a bit. The DJ was having a break, so we didn't have to scream to hear each other.

I leaned back on my chair and zoned out of the conversation when I saw Gabriel standing on the other side of the room talking to some guy. He didn't see me at first, but I kept looking at him and then he finally saw me.

He just stood completely still, and I turned my head to the others again. I really didn't feel like acting right now. Luckily the others knew about this mission, so I didn't have to fill anybody in. That was the perk of being friends with other agents. If they were not, I would have to leave so I wouldn't blow my cover.

Acting like Laura now, she would be pissed that Gabriel said he had to 'work' and finds him in the club. I texted the others that he was here and I could immediately see Jake stiffened.