Chapter 21

"It seems to me, that love could be labeled poison
and we'd drink it anyways."
-Atticus

As Preece pulls his shirt over his head, I pull my blue dress over my thighs and run my fingers through my hair, trying to get the strands to settle

As Preece pulls his shirt over his head, I pull my blue dress over my thighs and run my fingers through my hair, trying to get the strands to settle. My lipstick had smudged slightly and my mascara had marked under my eyes. I rub both away with my thumb, looking through the mirror in the room. I try to style my hair to look like I haven't just been violently fucked.

Preece stands near the door, his arms crossed over his broad chest. He raises his eyebrow at me. "You look fine, Alana. Stop stressing out."

"I'm not stressed out." I say, spinning around and placing my hands on my hips. "We should go back down." I add. "Prima is probably wondering where I am." Preece chuckles, shaking his head and approaching me. I stand straighter.

"I'll let you go if you answer a question." He says, and I tilt my head in confusion. Where is this going?

"Okay." I shrug.

"Hmm. How can a glass be a liquid if it's so hard?" He asks, and I frown. He's testing my Chemistry knowledge. I sigh in annoyance. I came to this party to forget about college, not get tested on it. Instead of voicing my frustrations, I decided to try and answer the question.

"Well... the silica in glass is cooled from the liquid states it was in, but it doesn't solidify when it's past the boiling point. The temperature, I mean." I say, not sure whether it is correct. Preece tilts his head at me before his face breaks out into a grin.

"You do listen to what I say." He grins, and I slap his arm before stepping to the side of him and walking to the locked door. "I feel appreciated."

"Let's go, Preece. Before we get caught." I say. I grab his elbow and pull him towards me. Clearly, he wasn't expecting it because he crashed into me, my forehead crashing into his chest. "Ouch." I whisper, rubbing my head. It didn't actually hurt, but I like being dramatic.

"Are you okay?" Preece asks, his fingers tilting my chin up, forcing me to look at him. His eyes scan across my face and I can't help laughing. He frowns. "What?"

I shake my head. "I'm fine, Preece." He tilts his head. "I'm. Fine." I repeat. "I'm just being dramatic."

He sighs, running a hand through his dark hair. Just as he opens his mouth to speak, my phone rings from beside the bedside table. I quickly grab it and see that it's my mum.

"Erm... I'll meet you downstairs, Preece." I say, tightly smiling at him. "I need to take this call."

He tilts his head at me. "Is everything okay?"