35. LET'S MEET TONIGHT

35. LET’S MEET TONIGHT

Lena rolled on the bed, stretching her hand to the side of the bed Darian always occupied but it was empty. 

She let out a small yawn and relaxed her back on the headboard. She was certain he had slept in his study or somewhere around the house; she had woken up every minute to check if he was close, but she didn't feel his presence like she always did. She clasped her hands together and pressed her lips into a tight frown.

She wanted to apologize but he treated her badly, he told her to get out of his office, he broke the friendship they were trying to build and he didn't care about her feelings either. She hung her legs on the bed, laid on her back, and covered her head with the duvet.

She felt his presence in the room, but the duvet remained on her head, not revealing her face. She peeped out to check what he was doing, she sighed and watched as he pulled out his sweaty shirt and pants, his back was turned to her making him oblivious of the staring exercise she was doing to his body.

Lena wanted to call his name so badly, she wanted to wrap arms around him, she wanted him to look at her the way he always did which made her heart skip a beat. He turned and she quickly pulled the duvet over her head. She pretended to be asleep but her eyes were slightly closed and she could vividly see what he was doing.

He took his pills and headed into the bathroom. She sighed frustratedly, yanking the duvet over her head, she got out of bed to start preparing for the day. She knew well that he was going to ignore her for as long as he wanted. Though his silence killed her, she was willing to wait until he was ready to talk again.

She was struggling to select the dresses to wear to the casino but none looked bright enough for her to wear. She was sad and needed something bright that would light up her day, but all the dresses she was picking were of pale colors. She tossed them angrily and they landed on Darain as he stepped out of the bathroom.

He halted his gaits when the clothes touched him.

"Fuck," Lena muttered. She rushed to pack the clothes, "I am so sorry, I didn't mean to hurl the clothes on you, I was…"

He walked away, cutting her short. Lena pursed her lips, she figured he was still mad at her. She picked her clothes, and finally settled for one of the black dresses when she didn't find a bright one she'd love to wear.

She took time to arrange her side of the wardrobe, hoping Darian would change his mind and talk to her as he dressed up for work. Her wait was futile because he didn't spare her a glance, he wore his suit, grabbed his gun, and walked out of the room with his briefcase clutched in his hand.

Lena's heart broke into shreds as she watched Darian leave the room without saying a word to her.

-

-

-

Darian couldn't focus on what he was doing, that was the fifth time he was reading the same line over and over again. He tossed the document back on the desk and heaved a sigh.

"I don't know what this is about." He said to Thelma. "Can I see the other proposal? The one from the mining company that wants to work with us."

"I think you've forgotten that we've sealed the deal." Thelma smiled, she had noticed Darian's countenance since he walked into the office that morning and she needed no soothsayer to tell her something was off about him. "Are you fine?" She asked him.

"Yes, I am. Can I attend to this later? I can't get anything straight right now." He looked at Thelma who had a small smile playing on her lips. "I think it's time for me to ask what's wrong with you. What's with the bemused smile?" He rolled his eyes at her.

"Nothing. We got a new proposal from Avinne company this morning. They want our advertising team to make an advert for them." She informed him, professionally trailing her slim fingers on the file in front of her. "They are new, started about a year ago, but they want to work with a big company like ours to gain more recognition," Thelma explained to Darian, she passed the company's file to him and leaned backward on the armchair, studying his expression as he skimmed through the file.

"They have a good profile, we can work with them. Approve it," he handed the file back to her. "What else is there to attend to?" He asked her.

"Darian, I know you are not fine. You know you can always talk to me, you can tell me anything. I won't judge you for real."

"What makes you think there is something wrong with me, Thelma?" His eyes wavered on her well-manicured nails. They were overly long, he wondered how she typed with those nails. He was sure Lena would never fix such long nails and she was just as beautiful as she was. He smiled, Lena again? She was messing with his mind.

"It's written all over your face that something is bothering you. Do you mind sharing? You know you sometimes share your problems with me and I don't judge you for them. We drink away your problems and have some fun afterward. I was joking about that," she laughed, moving her arms around.

"I am fine, you can go back to work." He said in a stern voice.

"Why do I feel you have problems with your wife?"

"Thelma..." Darian glared at her.

"I get it, I was just bothered, but if you want to share, you know where to find me." She packed the files and walked out of the office.

Darian shook his head. He glanced over to his phone to check if he missed a call from Lena, but there was none. He was close to dialing her number, but he stopped. He was mad at her, she said words that hurt him. He wasn't a cheat but she wrongly accused him. He had been faithful to her ever since he married her.

He didn't have a reason for not having sex with her, he just didn't want to build a connection with her. She attracted him so badly that it was hard to resist her sometimes. He didn't want that, he didn't want to be vulnerable to her. Having sex with her would make him too attached to her, he was afraid he would never stop once he touched her and he just wasn't ready for such commitment yet. 

He needed to get her off his mind, he needed to stop thinking about her. He picked up the telephone, clicked on some buttons, and pressed the phone to his ear. 

"Thelma," he dubbed.

"Are you ready to talk?" She asked.

Darian didn't want to do this, he was trying hard not to say the words. He shut his eyes and images of Lena flashed through again. 

"Yes, let's meet tonight by nine." He said and ended the call before he changed his mind.

He had to get rid of the funny feelings he was harboring before it got the best of him, he had to, and Thelma was the only one who could help him out. 

"She accused me of cheating and that's what I am just going to do now." He soliloquized.

Lena's call came in, he didn't pick up, he just stared at the phone as it rang. After the call ended, he switched his phone to Do Not Disturb mode and intensely buried his head in work to avoid distractions.

Faithy💓