32. FRIENDS?

32. FRIENDS?

Lena knew she couldn't keep arguing, and getting mad at Darian. It didn't help that they had to argue all the time and hurt each other's feelings.

 They were adults and needed to fix things up, she had seen how he looked at her, the things he did to her and she was certain there was no feeling of contempt, but she wasn't sure if he wanted her as much as she wanted him. Either way, she had to talk to him about their marriage.

She gawked at him as he swallowed a forkful of the rice she cooked for him. Darian was used to eating her food instead of Tina's and they didn't have to cook four to five meals anymore. Lena drew out a timetable for food that would be prepared each day.

"Darian, don't you think we need to talk?" She asked him.

"Talk about what?" He cocked his head to her side with a scowl.

"About us, our marriage. We keep arguing all the time, we don't even know what we want. It shouldn't be like that, we are adults and we have to define this relationship." She stated, folding her arms across her chest, and resting her back on the chair.

"You are the one who is always nagging, you know?" He wiped the crumbs of rice off his mouth and narrowed his eyes on her. "I don't have a problem with you, but you seem to always have something to nag about."

"Darian, I nag because I don't understand you. I have been married to you for months and I don't know shit about you."

"You do know I own a company, you know I am a Mafia Lord, you know that I own the biggest casino in New York. You know I am married to you. What else do you want to know?" He asked.

"Crap, Darian! Those are crap! We don't judge marriage by those things. There are physical things, I am talking about things that are more than that."

"Things like what?" He sipped the water in the glass and dropped it back on the table.

"What were you thinking when you asked for my hand in marriage? I mean, you could have punished my father with other things. Why did you choose to marry me of all the things?" Lena had been meaning to ask him this for a very long time now.

Darian glared at her as if her question irritated him.

"There was no better way to punish him." He said with a bored expression. "And there was a rude and beautiful daughter who didn't stop nagging the first day she saw me, I wanted to teach you a lesson." Lena was surprised he was giving responses to her questions. She never thought he would.

"So, it wasn't about my father?" Lena sighed, disappointed.

"It should have been, but you came into the picture and I wanted to keep your mouth shut."

"What would you have punished my father with if you hadn't married me?"

"I wouldn't have punished him. I knew he had no money, it was just about the threats. I got information that your father was an informant for one of our rival families. I visited him that day to ask for my money and interrogate him." He jerked his shoulders, his eyes flickering around the dining room. He wondered why she was asking so many questions from him, but he was willing to give her answers until he got bored of her questions.

"So, why haven't you punished me since you got married to me?" Lena smiled, lapping her lips as she patiently waited for him to give a response to her. She wanted to make use of that opportunity to ask him all the questions she'd kept in her mind all this while.

"Lena, what's your deal? Where are you heading with these questions?" He wasn't sure he had an answer to that question. She had caught his interest since she married him, she had always made him smile, she had cared for him and there was no way he could punish her. He might be the most feared Mafia Lord but he did have some discipline when it came to his woman.

"Never mind about that. Now, back to what I was talking about. That we should understand each other to avoid getting on each other's nerves all the time." She clasped her hands together. "Darian, to understand each other, we have to be closer, know each other's likes and dislikes and each other's differences, and many more things a couple should know about each other. You don't even know the lowest thing about me, Darian. You don't know my favorite thing to do and all that." She whined, cutely blinking her eyes.

"And what are your differences that I need to know?" He finished eating and pushed the plate aside.

Lena smiled, "A lot of things."

"Like what?" He asked nonchalantly.

"This is not how we start, Darian."

"How do we start?"

"We can start by being friends with each other, that's if you're willing though." She passed him the plate of dessert, he picked a berry and ate slowly.

"How can we be friends when we are married?" He asked her again, still confused and not understanding the point she was driving at.

Lena chuckled lightly. Now, she was sure Darian didn't know anything about relationships, but she was ready to be patient with him.

"People understand each other before they marry and most importantly, they fall in love with each other before getting married. But none of that happened between us, you were in a hurry to marry me and didn't even know a thing about me before putting the ring on my finger." Her eyes went down to the diamond ring Darian gave her on their wedding day. The stones were still shiny and as bright as the first time she ever saw them. She looked over to his side and there was no ring on his finger, she hadn't noticed that until now. She was disgruntled but didn't let it affect her mood.

"So, what are you insinuating?" Darian asked, interested in her plan of being friends with her.

"That we can start as friends if you want, from being friends we will decide what else we want for our relationship if you want."

They stared into each other's eyes for a split second, and Darian said nothing.

"It's fine if you don't want it. We can just continue living the way you want us to live. You know as strangers." Wiggling her head, she rose to her feet and drew the chair back inside. "I will be in the room."

"Hey," Darian stopped her from moving further. He walked to where she was and smiled. Stretching out his hand to her, he said. "Let's give this friendship a trial and see if it will work." Lena's lips spread into a smile. "Friends?" He looked at her.

"Yes, friends." Lena took his hand excitedly, bumping his fist up and down, she repeated. "Friends."

Faithy💓