33. KILLING IS MY HOBBY

33. I LIKE PULLING THE TRIGGER

"Good morning, my friend." Lena greeted when she sighted Darian walking into the kitchen. He walked over to snatch a cup from the rack, turned some water, and swallowed alongside the pills in his palm. "You should respond to greetings from a friend, don't you know that?"

"I don't," Darian retorted.

Tina smiled and left the kitchen, she knew better than to interrupt their time together.

"Now you know, when a friend greets you, you are meant to respond to their greetings." She said, putting the chicken wings into a bowl. "Don't worry, go back to the dining room, I will serve your food soon." She backed him, mixing the stew she was making.

"Can I have coffee this morning? I am working from home today." He informed her.

"Why? Is there a problem at the office?" She asked.

"No, Lena. There is something I have to attend to at the family house. One of the men gave a vague confession. Gaius wants me to come over to handle him myself."

Lena sighed, she stopped counting the chicken and looked up at him. "Why can't he do that? He's the godfather after all. Why must they involve you in everything that they do?" She rolled her eyes, obviously not pleased with what he just told her.

"Have you forgotten my position in the family?" He quirked his eyebrows, surprised she would even say something like that. "I have the most authority and nothing can be done without my permission, my friend." He emphasized.

Lena smiled, they were becoming friends. Darian never talked to her about his plans, he just left the house and came back. He only let her know if there was an emergency case. She was happy with the progress they were making in their so-called friendship.

"That's true. So, Darian. Your friend wants to know why you take those pills every morning, would you like to share? Friends keep each other's secrets, you know?"

"To relieve pains and that's all." He responded hurriedly, "Why aren't you preparing for work today? You have to go regularly to work, I don't want those women gossiping about us. They might think you are taking your work for granted because you are the boss's wife."

"Don't worry too much about that, I told someone to stand in for me today. And besides, they can say whatever they want, I don't care, I do my job diligently even though I don't like it." Lena said.

Darian said nothing, his eyes boring into hers. She shrugged her shoulders and continued. "As the boss, I think there are some rules that need to be rewritten. I have discussed this with some women at the casino and half of them are interested in other things, they have careers and ambitions they want to chase but they can't do that because they are married to a man from the Dawson family." She said, huffing in contempt.

"The rules have been laid down years ago. Years before we were born." Darian managed to say.

"Yes, by the ones who were the Lords then, you can always change the rules. You know, I honestly think this is unfair to the women because the men can do whatever they want to do, they have the freedom to do whatever they want to do, but the women can not do the same. That's so bad. I am sure the Lord who made the rule was a possessive one who just wanted his women to submit to his every will." Lena rolled her eyes.

"It's always been like that, family rules cannot be changed."

"I don't believe that though. If someone can write the rules then someone can also change them." She protested, not prepared to agree easily to him.

"Can we stop talking about the family rules?" He leaned on the counter with the glass clamped between his fingers. "You don't have a choice but to do what the rules say." He said in a final tone.