chapter five

"You look splendid, my lady," Joanna complimented her, watching Hyacinth's reflection in the mirror, "I don't know how will I manage another couple of days with you. You just got back."

Hyacinth chuckled, "Like you said, it's just a couple of days. I will be back before you even notice I left."

She kept gazing at her reflection, making sure her necklace and earrings were in place. That day she chose to wear a dark green dress, for she would do anything to get her aunt's and grandfather's favour and nothing impressed them more than a reminder that she shared their blood.

"I worry," Joanna sighed, cleaning imaginary dirt from the girl's shoulders, "You are flying on Dragon back with Prince Aegon. Dragons are dangerous creatures, my lady."

"Yes, but they are loyal to their riders. And as far as I'm concerned, Aegon and Sunfyre are thick as thieves. Aemond tells me no other dragon would put up with Aegon's activities the way Sunfyre does."

"I heard rumours he sometimes rides drunk and the Dragonkeepers always have problems taking him off the saddle."

Hyacinth sighed, taking in one more rumour who was undoubtedly true about her future husband, "He still doesn't fall, so you shouldn't worry about me. It will only be a few hours until we get to Winterfell."

Joanna didn't say anything and walked away to make her lady's bed.

"Do you think Prince Aegon is awake by now?"

"I couldn't say. Do you want me to send a maid to check?"

"Yes, please, I think we must send someone to wake him up or else he will sleep the whole day."

Joanna bowed her head, "Alright, my lady. I will send someone."

"Thank you. And don't forget to mention he's supposed to meet me in his mother's solars."

"Yes, my lady."

With that, Joanna left her chambers and Hyacinth decided it was time for het to leave as well. She had been getting ready since the sun rose, while Aegon had probably spent his night drinking and fucking, without a care in the world. The notion made her angrier than she was expecting, but she knew him, she knew his habits and there was little she could do to change the man she was marrying.

She walked towards the Queen's quarters, with her head help up high and trying to be positive about Alicent's reaction to what they were proposing. Her aunt rarely refused any of her requests, so she was not as worried about her answer as she was about Otto's. Her grandfather would surely refuse, not because he was worried about her, but because he did not trust Aegon to solve a matter in the name of the King. Hyacinth understood why, but she would still fight to convince him.

"Good morning, aunt," she smiled at the Queen when she saw her sitting on the chaise, observing Helaena as the girl sat on the ground observing a spider, "Cousin." Helaena raised her head to look at Hyacinth but quickly turned her attention back to her spider.

"Hyacinth, have you eaten today? I did not know you would be joining us this early, or I would have waited for you to break fast."

"Thank you, aunt. But I already ate. Joanna made sure of it," she answered, walking towards one of the big windows to gaze outside. One of the things she loved the most about King's Landing was the weather. It rarely rained and the mornings were always sunny and the nights warm.

Alicent got up and walked towards Hyacinth to stand next to her, "I visited the King this morning. The Grand Maester said he did not know how much time he has left, but not much," she spoke lowly, probably afraid of being heard by the maids or Helaena.