chapter twenty two

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting a warm glow over the Red Keep, Lady Hyacinth sat before her vanity, enveloped in a flurry of activity. Maids fluttered around her, their hands deftly arranging jewels and smoothing out the folds of her gown, while others tended to her hair, skillfully styling the dark locks that cascaded down her back.

The dress she wore was a vision of elegance, its fabric shimmering in the soft candlelight that filled the room. It was a masterpiece of craftsmanship, with a fitted bodice that hugged her curves in all the right places and a voluminous skirt that billowed out around her in a cloud of silk and lace. The bodice was adorned with intricate beadwork and delicate embroidery, adding a touch of sparkle to the rich fabric.

Around her neck, Hyacinth wore a necklace of exquisite pearls, each one gleaming with a lustrous sheen as it caught the light. The pearls were interspersed with diamonds and sapphires, creating a mesmerizing pattern that seemed to dance with every movement she made. Matching earrings hung from her ears, their glittering gems framing her face and accentuating her features with a subtle elegance.

As the maids worked their magic, Hyacinth's reflection stared back at her from the mirror, her heart fluttering with excitement and anticipation. Tonight was a special occasion, a lavish dinner in honor of her father's arrival, and she wanted to look her best. But more than that, she wanted  to command attention and awe with her presence alone.

"Thank you," she said softly, her voice filled with gratitude as she turned to her attendants. "You have outdone yourselves once again."

The maids curtsied in response, their smiles radiant with pleasure at her words. "It was our pleasure, my lady," one of them replied, her voice filled with warmth. "You look absolutely stunning."

Joanna, her trusted handmaiden, stood by her side, overseeing the meticulous preparations for the evening ahead. Joanna supervised the final touches, her keen eye ensuring that every detail was perfect. With a gentle touch, she adjusted the folds of Lady Hyacinth's gown, smoothing out any imperfections with practiced ease.

"Thank you, Joanna," Hyacinth said, her voice filled with genuine appreciation as she turned to her handmaiden. "I couldn't have done it without you."

Joanna smiled warmly, her eyes sparkling with pride. "It was my pleasure, my lady," she replied, her voice soft but resolute. "You deserve to shine tonight, more than anyone."

As the final adjustments were made and the last tendrils of hair were carefully arranged, Hyacinth rose from her seat, a vision of grace and elegance. With a regal air, she swept out of the room, her heart filled with anticipation for the evening that lay ahead. Tonight, she would not only honor her father's arrival but also reaffirm her place in the world, as a woman of strength, intelligence, and undeniable beauty.

As Lady Hyacinth emerged from her chambers, the soft glow of candlelight dancing around her, she found Prince Aegon waiting for her outside her door, flanked by two guards. His expression was a curious mix of amusement and boredom, his eyes alight with mischief as he greeted her with a sly grin.

"Well, well, well," Aegon drawled, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "If it isn't my soon-to-be wife, looking as radiant as ever. I have been waiting here long enough."

Hyacinth resisted the urge to roll her eyes at his playful tone, instead offering him a polite smile. "Thank you, Prince Aegon," she replied evenly. "You clean up quite nicely yourself."

Aegon chuckled at her response, though there was a hint of something else in his laughter, something that made Hyacinth's skin crawl. "Flattery will get you everywhere, my dear," he quipped, his tone tinged with mock sincerity. "But I must say, I'm rather disappointed. Does your future husband not deserve a kiss?"