chapter nine

"My Lady, we heard you liked green", one of the maids spoke behind Hyacinth as she looked at her reflection in the mirror, "We had a sewer making you a dress as soon as we heard about your arrival, as Lady Stark commanded. Do you like the dress?"

"I have never worn a dress like this," Hyacinth concentrated on the details of the dress. It was a green velvet dress that reached her feet and had sleeves made of a sheer fabric, with cuffs around her wrists. Around her there was a thick layer of fur as if a snake was circling her, staring on one of her shoulders and circling her chest and waist, "I think I love it," she reassured the maids, even though she looked at the dress with a questioning look on her face.

She actually liked the dress, even though she would never wear it in King's Landing. It was a mix of textures with many details and the fur was a little too much according to King's Landing fashion. However, she was in Winterfell and no one knew her there, expect for Aegon of course. Would he like the dress? Would he think she looked beautiful? Would he want her?

"You like it, then?"

"Yes, very much," she smiled at the two maids.

The next few hours consisted on them arranging her hair and taking care of her face to hide the imperfections on her skin, as Hyacinth instructed. The whole time she looked at her reflection in the vanity mirror, wondering if there was something amiss about her image. She had never tried to seduce a man before and because of that she didn't really know what a man liked, so her purpose the whole time she was getting ready was to look immaculate. Not a hair out of place, not a pimple in sight - she had to be perfect from head to toe.

Her head was starting to hurt from all the pins she had on her hair and she sighed thinking about the hours she had ahead of her with her hair like that.

After the two maids were done getting her ready, she made them swear five times she looked perfect. Scared as they were, they didn't hesitate before answering each time. Before leaving her bedchamber, she placed a few rings on her fingers and a pair of earrings so heavy that her ears hurt.

Not without sparing one more look at her reflection she left the room and was quick to ask the guard next to Aegon's door if he had left the room.

"No, My Lady," the guard answered, "A servant came here to wake him up, but the Prince sent him away."

Hyacinth closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She did not even close her eyes and spent the whole time getting prepared for dinner while he slept through it all. No, he couldn't be that irresponsible when they were away from King's Landing.

"I will wake him up myself," she took a few steps to his door, but one of the maids gasped, making her stop and turn to her, "What is it?"

"My Lady, surely you're not thinking of going inside the Prince's bedchambers? It wouldn't be proper."

Hyacinth frowned, "He's my cousin".

"Yes, but Targaryens-"

"I appreciate your concern, but I will be going inside. I am not a Targaryen. You can wait here if you want. Just call his maids to get him ready."

Hyacinth did not bother to knock on his door before stepping inside and slamming it behind her, "Aegon!"

He groaned, still laying on the bed under the layers of fur, "Mother?" He asked, his voice raspy from the hours he spent sleeping, still with his eyes closed but rolling his body to face the wall, "What have I done now?"

"Aegon, get up, it's time for supper! They are all waiting for us," she marched to his side of the bed and stood with her arms crossed between the bed and the window.