chapter sixteen

The morning sun bathed the Tower of the Hand in a soft golden hue as Lady Hyacinth Hightower ascended the stone steps, her footsteps echoing in the quiet and long stairwell. She had been called to meet her grandfather before lunch and so, it was a call she certainly could not ignore.

As she approached the door to the Hand's chambers, a firm knock announced her presence. The door creaked open, revealing the figure of Otto Hightower, the Hand of the King, standing in the doorway.

"Good morning, Grandfather," Hyacinth greeted, her eyes respectful but determined.

Lord Hightower acknowledged her presence with a nod, "Hyacinth. I trust your return from Winterfell was uneventful."

Hyacinth offered a nod, "Indeed."

Lord Hightower motioned for her to enter, and as she stepped into the room, her eyes caught the scrolls and documents scattered across his desk.

"I wanted to extend my appreciation for your efforts in Winterfell," Lord Hightower began, his gaze assessing. "Specifically, your guidance of Aegon did not go unnoticed. Your adept handling of the situation showcased both diplomacy and sagacity."

Hyacinth's expression remained composed, but a spark of pride flickered in her eyes. "It was my duty to assist Aegon. I believe it has strengthened the ties between the Crown and the North."

Lord Hightower nodded, "Indeed, alliances are crucial, and your counsel has undoubtedly contributed to the Crown's interests. You make our house very proud. I am very glad that my granddaughter is not dragging my name through mud."

Hyacinth felt a surge of pride at the acknowledgment. "I am honored to serve the Crown and House Hightower, Grandfather. I will continue to offer my guidance where it is needed."

He regarded her with a shrewd gaze, "Your dedication is evident, Hyacinth. The Realm will be lucky to have a Queen like you. I knew I raised my daughter well, but you are so much like Alicent. Your father will be proud of you as well, when he hears you are to marry the future king of the Seven Kingdoms."

"When are we to be married?"

"We are announcing it tomorrow. You will both be married in a fortnight."

Hyacinth took a moment to absorb the weight of Lord Hightower's words. The sudden revelation caught her off guard, and she could feel a mix of surprise and realization settling in. A fortnight – it was a short span, especially for an arrangement of such significance. However, the Hightower blood in her veins whispered a reminder of duty and tradition.

"In a fortnight?" she repeated, her voice composed despite the swirl of thoughts within.

"Yes, my dear. The sooner, the better. We must solidify the ties between House Targaryen and House Hightower," Lord Hightower affirmed.

Hyacinth nodded, "Of course, Grandfather. I understand the importance of this union. I shall do my duty."

He patted her hand with a reassuring gesture, "That's my granddaughter. Strong, wise, and dutiful. The realm will benefit from your influence."

As Lord Hightower delved into the intricate details of the upcoming royal announcement and the ceremonial preparations, the weight of the impending union between Hyacinth and Aegon seemed to hang in the air like a looming storm. Each word spoken echoed in the chamber, carrying the gravity of the decisions being made.

Suddenly, with a thunderous creak, the heavy wooden door of the chamber swung open. Aegon Targaryen entered, his presence commanding attention and his eyes ablaze with a mix of anger and urgency.