chapter twenty one

In the hushed stillness of the early morning, the Queen Alicent, Lady Hyacinth, and Prince Aemond stood at the entrance gates of the Red Keep, accompanied by a retinue of servants and guards. The soft light of dawn painted the sky in hues of pink and gold, casting a serene glow over the courtyard as they awaited the arrival of Sir Gwayne Hightower.

Otto Hightower, stood nearby, his expression stern as he surveyed the scene. "He should have arrived by now," he remarked, his tone clipped with impatience.

Alicent's brow furrowed with impatience as she glanced at the empty space beside her niece. "Where is Aegon?" she demanded, her voice sharp with irritation. "He should be here to greet his uncle with the rest of us."

Hyacinth's frustration simmered beneath the surface as she scanned the courtyard for any sign of her betrothed. "I sent for him early this morning," she replied tersely, her gaze flickering with annoyance. "But he has yet to make an appearance."

Prince Aemond, however, remained unfazed by his brother's absence. With a calm demeanor that bordered on indifference, he interjected, "Knowing Aegon, he's probably sleeping his morning off."

"My father's arrival is a significant event, and Aegon should be here to greet him. It's his duty as my future husband."

Alicent's gaze hardened as she turned to her son, her patience wearing thin. "Aemond, you would do well to show more concern for your bother's whereabouts."

Prince Aemond inclined his head in acknowledgement, though his expression remained impassive. "Of course, Mother," he replied smoothly, though there was a hint of defiance in his tone. "I shall make inquiries as to my brother's whereabouts."

As Aemond turned to leave, Hyacinth's frustration mounted, her worry for her father overshadowed by her preoccupation with Aegon's absence. She knew she should be focused on the task at hand, yet she couldn't shake the nagging sense of unease that gnawed at her insides.

"Alicent," he began, his voice tinged with disapproval. "It seems your coddling of Aegon has done him little good. He should have been taught the importance of his duties long ago."

Alicent bristled at the implication, her gaze flashing with indignation as she turned to face her father. "I did not raise Aegon to be irresponsible," she retorted, her tone defensive. "He knows his obligations as a member of this family, yet he chooses to disregard them at every turn."

"I do not think it is your fault, Aunt. He is a Targaryen, after all."

Otto's stern expression softened slightly at his granddaughter's words, a hint of understanding flickering in his eyes. "Perhaps you are right, Hyacinth," he conceded, his tone less accusatory. "But even so, Aegon must learn to take responsibility for his actions. He cannot continue to shirk his duties without consequence."

Hyacinth and her aunt joined Otto at the entrance gates, their retinue of servants and guards falling into step behind them. Finally, the sound of approaching hooves broke the silence, the rhythmic clatter of horse hooves echoing through the courtyard. A hushed murmur rippled through the assembled crowd as they strained to catch a glimpse of the approaching carriage, their hearts pounding in anticipation.

At last, the carriage rounded the corner, its ornate wheels gleaming in the soft morning light as it rolled to a stop before the entrance gates, the Hightower sigil on the flags sent a ripple of excitement through her. With a sense of relief, Hyacinth and her companions stepped forward to greet the new arrival, their faces betraying a mixture of excitement and apprehension.

The carriage door swung open, and Sir Gwayne Hightower emerged, his imposing figure silhouetted against the backdrop of the castle walls. Dressed in resplendent finery befitting his station, he cut an impressive figure as he stepped down from the carriage, his gaze sweeping over the assembled crowd with a mixture of pride and authority.