The Pollywog/Will the Wise

Mature Content in this Chapter:

Georgia woke up with a dull headache and memories of the night before, from her interaction with Billy to her vow with Nancy and to the night with Steve.

Steve was a troubling topic. Were they together or friends with feelings? And how was she supposed to act normal when she wanted to kiss him senselessly? 

The most troubling part of it all, she wanted more than that. She wanted everything with him.

"Georgia?" Hopper echoed through the door, lightly knocking. "You awake?"

Georgia didn't answer. She was still mad at him.

"I'm sorry I didn't let you go last night," he apologized. "It, I had an overreaction, and I realize that now."

He had more than that to apologize for; he wanted the silent treatment to end.

"I'm sorry I was late," he continued. "I was held up at the station like usual." He sounded tired and at least aware that the excuse of being 'held up' was not going to work anymore. "I should've called...I disappointed you again, and for that, I am sorry."

"Georgia, please," he knocked again. "I know you don't still have a migraine."

He was silent for a second, probably seconds away from coming in.

"And?" Georgia called.

"And what?" Hopper replied.

"And Steve?" she asked.

He made a noise that sounded an awful lot like an irritated groan. "You can see Steve."

Georgia stood up and opened the door, where the smell of bacon and the sight of a Belgian waffle almost had her jumping for joy. He laid it on thick.

He wore Eleven down enough to leave her room. She sat at the table eating dessert Eggos with the candy he promised to pick up the day before, but she wasn't speaking, nor was she looking at him.

"Mmm," Hopper drew out, brandishing his knife as he licked the leftover whipped cream. "Good, right? You know, the great thing about it? It's only eight thousand calories."

Eleven didn't say anything, and Georgia wasn't going to either. While things were fine between Georgia and her dad, Eleven only left her room so she could eat.

"You visited him again last night," Hopper said. It was a question in the form of a statement.

Georgia followed his eyes to the cord trailing into Eleven's room.

Eleven was quiet before she whispered, "He says he needs me."

"Want me to go check on him?" he asked in the most gentle tone he could muster, but Eleven shook her head. "I know that you miss him, all right? But it's too dangerous...You're the last thing he needs right now."

Mike seemed fine when Georgia child-sat him, but he was quieter now. More reserved.

"You're gonna see him. Soon," Hopper assured. "And not just in that head of yours. You're gonna see him in real life."

Georgia doubted that. Eleven's asked to see Mike since the day they found her in the woods. And every day, the answer was 'soon.'

"I feel like I'm making progress with these people," he continued.

Eleven leaned forward on the table. "Friends don't lie."

But dad's did, Georgia thought.

"What?"