The Sauna Test

Georgia awoke to the sound of Steve talking on the phone.

Tiredly, she forced herself from the comfort his bed offered and dug through his drawers, pulling out a pair of loose jeans and a long-sleeved top.

It was the second day that Tyler would be covering her shift. She didn't want to think of what she owed him for this.

Robin would already be at work, Dustin was most likely monitoring the loading dock; they spent the better part of an hour in the pouring rain watching, and Steve was supposed to be at work in the next hour.

"Georgia," Steve entered his room, his eyes racking down her. "That was Mike...he said you're needed at the Wheeler's. Some babysitting emergency."

Her face crinkled.

Why was Mike calling her instead of Mrs. Wheeler?"

Dustin would be so annoyed if she missed another day of his spy operation. He was already upset that she missed most of yesterday's.

"Hey," Steve said gently, pulling the girl into a hug. His hand cradled the back of her head. "We'll do what we did yesterday...make a plan and carry it out when you get there."

"I don't want you guys waiting on me-"

He tugged her hair, forcing her eyes to meet his.

"Robin won't mind...Dustin can be quelled with bribery," Steve laughed. "Tomorrow, after figuring out how to get in today, we'll give it a shot. We can all be true American heroes."

His smile was wide as he dropped a kiss to the top of her head and another gentle one to her lips, only allowing himself to linger for a few seconds.

"Sleepover again tonight?" he asked, passing her his jacket and a pair of socks.

Steve being domestic in that manner always had the same effect as Georgia, wanting to jump his bones until neither of them could walk. He'd complain about his missing clothes after willingly giving them to her.

She nodded. "But it doesn't matter," Georgia yawned, following Steve down the hall. "I'm not babysitting today." She couldn't ditch plans twice.

Billy could wait, and the party had Nancy and Jonathan. If Eleven or Max needed her, they would've called. Plus, they were just going to get into the guarded room with the boxes; it wouldn't take the entire day.

****

"So that keycard opens the door, but unfortunately, the Russian with this keycard also has a massive gun," Dustin explained, having watched the entrance for a little under two hours this morning. "Whatever's in this room, whatever's in those boxes, they really don't want anybody finding it."

He paced in front of the open window, open just enough that Steve or Robin could see a customer without having to be in the front of the store.

Robin sat with one of her legs across Georgia's lap, holding the scooper as Steve made faces, listening to Dustin and spinning his white sailor hat.

"There's gotta be a way in," Robin shook her head slightly.

Steve blew air into his hat, returning it to normal shape. "Well, you know," he sat up, dropping his leg to the ground and leaning forward against the table, "I could just take him out," he said seriously, cracking his fists together.

A laugh ripped from Georgia's mouth, growing silent when she realized Steve was serious.

"Take who out?" Robin enunciated each word.

"The Russian guard," Steve replied simply, looking between Georgia and Robin, who both had skeptical expressions on their faces.

"What? I sneak up behind him, I knock him out, and I take his keycard," he elaborated calmly. "It's easy."