Chapter 5: Thanksgiving

2 days before Thanksgiving Alanna leaves to go to her parent's house.

"You're sure you're going to be okay," she asks me for the 100th time.

"Yes. What could possibly happen to me in the 5 days that you'll be gone?"

"I just have to ask. You know that's my baby and all."

I roll my eyes at her. "I'll be fine. I told you I'm going to Steve's for Thanksgiving."

"You're going to be driving back home in the dark though. It's literally nighttime outside at 5:30."

"I'm pregnant not blind. I can drive," I say exasperated.

"Steve will think the same thing. Don't think he won't."

"Well, Steve isn't my man so he has no say so."

She scoffs. "Oh kay."

I look at her with my hands on my hips. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Listen, Christian, you can play yourself all you want, but you can't play me, okay? You like Steve and Steve likes you. I'd love it if you guys stop doing this weird thing and just fuck already."

"Alanna!" I yell throwing a pillow at her.

She laughs. "What? It's true. He's sooo into you, if you threw yourself at him he would probably just wet his pants with desire."

"Alanna," I groan.

"Okay okay. I'll stop the sexual talk, but for real stop lying to yourself about Steve okay?"

She had a point. There was definitely something between Steve and I. The past few weeks had made that evident. I absolutely adored his kids and him and I knew they liked me too. I don't know why I wasn't letting myself be free to pursue Steve, but I just couldn't. Maybe because I was pregnant with another man's baby.

She finished packing up her stuff.

"Okay I'm outta here. Be safe, make sure you feed my baby. I'll see you Sunday morning."

She gives me a hug and we say goodbye. I flop down on my couch and watch tv while the baby flips around in my stomach.

—————————

Thanksgiving day I wake up to make a macaroni and cheese dish. It was 12 o clock already when I head to my bedroom to start getting dressed.

After I showered I raided my closet for something to wear. I was still small enough to fit into my stretchy clothes, but big enough that I looked relatively pregnant in it.

I found an orange colored, turtle neck, sweater dress that fit my belly pretty comfortably. Usually it came down to my knees but with my belly it stopped mid thigh. I paired it with brown, knee high boots and a cream colored knit jacket.

I started my makeup routine then took my hair down from the braids I put in last night and fluffed my natural hair out. I checked myself out in the mirror before remembering to add my earrings and necklace.

I grabbed the cool pan of mac and cheese and left my apartment to head to the McCormick's.

I got there at 3:30. I rang the doorbell with my purse and pan in hand. It took a minute but the door opens and I'm greeted by an older white woman.

"Oh hi! You must be Christian, please come in. Steve has told us so much about you."

I walk in and smile at her. "Hi. It's nice to meet you," I say.

"I'm Steve's mom Catherine, but you can call me Cathy."

She's beautiful. I can see the resemblance to Steve and to the kids. She's tall and very in shape for her age. Her long, silky, salt and pepper hair reaches the middle of her back and she's dressed like quiet luxury. She has on a silky eggshell blouse that's tucked into a flowy burgundy skirt and cognac wedges. She's wearing tear drop diamond earrings, a gold necklace and bracelet.