"Mr Holmes, I Presume?

Y/N arrived at the potions lab just in the nick of time, Hermione had saved him a seat, between her and Wednesday. As Y/N sat down and go his books ready the door burst open and Snape stormed in.

"There will be no foolish wand waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion making. However, for those select few...who possess the predisposition...I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death." Snape stated as he spotted Harry writing down everything he was saying in his book. "Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough to not pay attention."

Y/N was simply looking the teacher in the eyes.

"Mr Potter. Our new celebrity. And Mr Holmes, I presume?" Snape asked as Y/N nodded.

"Tell me Potter, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" Snape asked as Y/N and Hermione's hands shot up. Harry shook his head. "You don't know? Well, let's try again. Where, Mr Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?"

Again, Y/N and Hermione's hands shot up.

"I don't know, sir." Harry said as Ron looked worried.

"And what is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?"

Both Y/N and Hermione kept their hands raised, while Y/N was relaxed in his seat with his arm casually raised, Hermione was practically stood on her feet with her arm raised.

"I don't know sir." Harry stated.

"Pity. Clearly fame isn't everything...is it, Mr Potter?" Snape said as Harry looked to his two fellow Gryffindor students.

"Clearly, Y/N and Hermione know, it seems a pity not to ask them." Harry answered back as Snape leaned in.

"For your information, Potter, asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the draught of living death. A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons. As for monkshood and wolfsbane they are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite. Well, why aren't you all getting this down?" Snape snapped at Harry. "10 points will be take from Gryffindor for Mr Potters insolence."

Y/N and Wednesday worked together on brewing the potion Snape had told them all to, with Y/N's skills in chemistry coming into play, Thing also helped by handing them the ingredients while they both quietly spoke.

"Mr Holmes, would you be so kind as to stay after class, you have consistently distracted another pupil and I wish to speak to you." Snape said as Y/N felt everyone looking at him.

"Yes sir." Y/N said coldly as Snape nodded to him.

When the lesson was over, Y/N stayed behind and Snape closed the door to make sure that they wouldn't be overheard.

"Now, Mr Holmes, I presume you have already figured out the real reason I asked you to stay behind today?" Snape asked as Y/N nodded.

"You want to ask me to assist you in stopping whoever broke into Gringotts from breaking into the third floor corridor." Y/N said as he stood up and looked to Snape who nodded. "Before you ask, I saw the break-in in the papers, and I know there's something on the third floor corridor because it's out of bounds and even the older students were surprised meaning it was only just introduced this year, adding both things together that leaves the simple deduction that whatever was in the vault must have been moved to Hogwarts recently. Am I wrong?"

"No. All correct. I have suspicions of who could try and break in but I would like you to investigate, you can do things that I cannot."

"Such as?"

"People are undecided on you so far, they don't know if you're more like your brother or more like your father-"

"Please don't compare me to my father." Y/N said as Snape nodded.

"...Apologies. Will you help me investigate the case?" Snape said as Y/N looked at him.

"I'll take the case." Y/N said calmly.

"I can assure you will likely be handsomely rewarded." Snape said as Y/N nodded.

"A chance to solve a mystery before I even leave school, Professor Snape, you know what a Holmes likes." Y/N said with a smirk as Snape smirked.

"Mr Holmes, this case will be dangerous, you should know that."

"The dangerous ones are always the best." Y/N stated as he smiled. "I'm assuming that you suspect Professor Quirrell? Either that or you're having a staring contest with his turban."

"Yes, he's my suspect."

"I'll start there."

"Very well, oh, Mr Holmes, your friend, Wednesday Addams, are you aware that she is appealing to be moved from Slytherin?"

"Yes sir." 

"Just...checking. Good day, Mr Holmes." Snape said as Y/N nodded.

"Sir." Y/N said as he left the room to go to lunch...