17

*EIGHT YEARS LATER*

Feyre was responding to ravens her siblings had sent her in her chambers. Aemma was off with Jace and Luke, so she had some peace and quiet. She loved those children, but put them together? Gods, give her the strength.

She was sending off the ravens when Laenor burst into her room, "What is the matter with you?"

"Rhaenyra," Laenor leaned on his knees to catch his breath, "She is in her labors."

"What?" Feyre stood from her writing desk and walked over to him, "Why did no one call for me?"

Laenor rolled his eyes, "That is why I am here."

"Let's go," Feyre pulled him by his arm and speed walked through the Keep.

They passed by courtiers, who wished Laenor congratulations. Feyre practically pushed them out of the way when they tried to further the conversation, receiving some disapproving looks. Not that she cared; her only focus was on getting to Rhaenyra.

It wasn't hard to locate her, what with all the screaming. Feyre opened the doors to Rhaenyra's apartments, flinching as the screams got louder. Rhaenyra was surrounded by midwives, who all gave their Princess words of encouragement.

Rhaenyra caught sight of Feyre standing by the door and sighed in relief, "Where were you?"

"I did not know you were in your labors until ten minutes ago," Feyre side-eyed Laenor as she sat by her lover's side, "How are you feeling?"

Rhaenyra groaned, "I want to get this thing out of me!"

"The babe is crowing, Princess," said one of the midwives, "Just give us one more push."

Feyre took ahold of Rhaenyra's hand, giving it a gentle squeeze, "You can do this, Nyra. The babe's almost here."

Rhaenyra groaned before pushing, squeezing Feyre's hand so hard that she was afraid that she'd broken it. Feyre winced at the pain, but kept quiet. Whatever pain she felt right now was nothing compared to what Rhaenyra was going through.

"You're doing so good," Feyre whispered in her ear as Rhaenyra screamed, "You're so good, my love."

Suddenly, the babe's cries filled the room, making Feyre let out a breathy laugh, "It's a boy!"

"Praise the Mother," A midwife cried.

Rhaenyra sighed and leaned against Feyre, glad it was over. The midwives made quick work of bringing him to the Princess. Rhaenyra and Feyre looked down at the boy, taking in how beautiful he was.

"Do we have a name for the new prince?"

"No," Rhaenyra shook her head, "Not yet."

The midwives bowed to the Princess and went to clean up the room, leaving Rhaenyra and Feyre to themselves.

"He's perfect," Feyre smiled down at the babe, "Gods, you must really like having boys."

Rhaenyra chuckled and nudged her lover's side, "Be quiet."

They were so focused on the babe that they didn't notice the doors opening.

"Princess," Elinda, one of Rhaenyra's handmaidens said, "The Queen has requested that the child be brought to her...immediately."

Rhaenyra narrowed her eyes, "Why?"